I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Charlotte Show Vendors and Seminars
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.154.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 03, 2004 09:04AM

It's still early, but I did want to get out a list of those vendors that have committed and actually bought booth space for The Rod Builders' Show in Charlotte, NC for February 26 &27.

I expect the list to grow as we move through the next few weeks, but for now here is a list of those who will have booth space at the show.

American Tackle
Batson Enterprises
Classic Custom Wood
Decal Connection
Fish Sticks 4U
Kens Custom Rods
Lamar Manufacturing
Mickel's Custom Rods
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Renzetti, Inc.
RodMaker Magazine
Schnieders Rod Shop
Shakespeare/All Star
Trondak U40
Visual Wrap

Following are vendors who have told me that they may have booth space at the show, but who have not yet made an actual committment at this time.

Bingham Enterprises
Custom Tackle Supply
G. Loomis, Inc
St. Croix

I will continue to update the list periodically as more vendors come on board.

SEMINARS AND DEMONSTRATIONS (Upstairs in Seminar Rooms)

Saturday

10:00 AM • Basic Rod Building by Jim Upton - This in-depth overview of the rod building process is sure to delight and educate anyone interested in building their first custom rod. Jim will spotlight the process, highlighting each step required to take a blank and handful of components and turn them into a better performing rod that anything you can buy off the shelf. Handy hints on required materials and tools as well!

10:00 AM • Rod Repair by Ralph O'Quinn - With the proper expertise, almost any damage can be rectified and your favorite rod put back into action with no loss in performance. Master repairman Ralph O'Quinn will demonstrate the proper procedures for fixing nearly any type of rod breakage or damage. A must see.

11:00 AM • The Custom Saltwater Rod by Ken Preston - The saltwater environment and the fish that live there require rods that are built to withstand the most demanding conditions. Long time builder Ken Preston will explain the particulars along with how to build the type rods than can handle the largest fish, year after year. Expect special techniques for surf and stand-up rods.

11:00 AM • The Hanneman Common Cents System by Dr. William Hanneman - The Common Cents System is the first objective and relative system for measuring fly rod action and power. The inventor himself, Dr. Hanneman, will fully explain his system and show you how to use it to make your fly fishing and rod building experience that much better.

1:00 PM • Wood Turning for the Rod Builder by Andy Dear - Being able to turn and shape your own cork and EVA grips or wood or exotic reel seats and handles will only expand your custom rod building experience. Andy Dear will explain how to select the best lathe and tools as well as how to use them once you get them. This is one seminar you don't want to miss.

1:00 PM • Thread Weaving by Jim Upton - A complete introductory course on decorative thread weaving by the inventor of the "Wonder Weaver" himself. Learn how to create your own "left lists" and even perform "color change" weaves.

2:00 PM • Introduction to Decorative Cross Wraps by Mark Crouse - This seminar provides any anyone, novice to pro, with a sound grasp of the basics involved in making decorative thread cross wraps. Covered will be set up, open wraps, closed wraps, multiple axis wraps and taper offset spacing.

3:00 PM • Manufacturers Spotlight - A panel made up of the industry’s leading blank and component manufacturers and suppliers answers your every question concerning blank manufacturing, guide plating, ceramic polishing, warranties, etc. A question and answer session will follow.

Sunday

10:00 AM • Basic Rod Building by Jim Upton - This in-depth overview of the rod building process is sure to delight and educate anyone interested in building their first custom rod. Jim will spotlight the process, highlighting each step required to take a blank and handful of components and turn them into a better performing rod that anything you can buy off the shelf. Handy hints on required materials and tools as well!

10:00 AM • Everything You Wanted To Know About Rod Building - A panel of some of the best rod builders in the world answers your rod building questions in this open forum on the craft of custom rod building. No question is too difficult nor too simple. Ask and you shall receive.

11:00 AM • Thread Weaving by Mark Crouse - A tutorial by one of the most innovative thread artists working today. All aspects of thread weaving will be covered, including design and set up.

1:00 PM • Making Multi-Piece Rods by Ralph O’Quinn - Can’t find your favorite rod or blank in as many sections as you desire? Learn to fabricate your own ferrules and create multi-piece rods that feel and act like the one-piece counterparts.

2:00 PM • The Hanneman Common Cents System by Dr. William Hanneman - The Common Cents System is the first objective and relative system for measuring fly rod action and power. The inventor himself, Dr. Hanneman, will fully explain his system and show you how to use it to make your fly fishing and rod building experience that much better.

2:00 PM • Using Computer Software in Decorative Thread Art by David Boyle and Jim Upton - Learn the ins and outs of specialty software for the design and lay-out of cross wraps and weaving patterns.

3:00 PM • Creative Design for Custom Fishing Rods by Tom Kirkman - We’ve grown accustomed to fishing rods having to look a certain way. Step outside the box and discover how to design highly functional rods that defy age old configurations.

*Dr. William Hanneman will be available both days for rating your blanks or rods in the Common Cents System booth on the main show floor.

Featured Rod Builder Booth

**Additional Seminars will be ongoing on the show floor in the “Featured Rod Builder Booth” during both days of the show. Here is a list of the presenters for the Featured Rod Building Booth Demostrations:

Bill Stevens - Unique Tools for Making Narrow Trim Bands
Mark Crouse - Thread Art
Ken Preseton - Color Changing Rod Finish
Mike Barley & Randy Parpart - Marbled Epoxy Finishing
Ralph O'Quinn - Tricks with Rod Bond
Tom Kirkman - New Concept Guide Set-Up
*More to be announced soon

Rod Builders' Social Gathering

Event will be held on Saturday evening in one of the upstairs seminar rooms. Refreshments served at no charge. 6:30PM to 8:30PM. Event is open to all Rod Builder Show ticket holders.

The Rod Builders’ Show • Charlotte, NC February 26 & 27, 2005
Charlotte Convention Center, Charlotte, NC

The World's Largest Rod Building Event

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Charlotte Show Vendors and Seminars
Posted by: Keith Nowicki (66.98.130.---)
Date: November 03, 2004 09:30AM

All that for just 12 bucks? Are you kidding me? I'll have my plane ticket booked today.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.154.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 03, 2004 09:34AM

It's $12 for one day attendance, or $20 for a ticket good for both days. All the seminars and demonstrations, along with the social event, are included at no extra charge.

Your ticket is also good for admittance to The Fly Fishing Show which takes place in the same hall. You can also attend their seminars and Destination Theatre as well, although they will overlap most of the Rod Building Show seminars.

I don't think you'll find this sort of value at any other show of any description.

Posted by: David A. Fuller (---.NIPR.MIL)
Date: November 03, 2004 01:11PM

Holy Cow ! what a fine event you've set up for this industry. Bigger, Better than last year.

thanks for all you do,
David A. Fuller
Great Basin Fishing Rods

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 03, 2004 01:31PM

Hope to see ya there!

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 03, 2004 07:30PM

This sounds like it will be even better than last year and last year was great! Only a 2 hour drive for me. I'll be there both days.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2004 08:07PM

I was so impressed with the innaugural year and the number/quality of vendors and "goodies" on display that I began planning to attend this year. I'm very thankful to Tom for going the extra distance in ensuring that this year's event will be even better than last year. Heck I'm driving down something like 9 hours to get there.... My only concern is that I'll have all those 'fishing holes' to pass in both directions that I may have to make this a week-long trip.

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 03, 2004 10:06PM

I look forward to your seminar on building saltwater rods. This is something I don't do much of but maybe with a little more instruction I might start.

Posted by: David Boyle (---.dsl.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: November 04, 2004 06:25AM

Thank you Tom for the effort you have gone to (again!!) to support rod builders and the industry.

Regards
Dave Boyle

Posted by: Shawn Moore (62.132.1.---)
Date: November 04, 2004 08:40AM

I've already started putting away some "tuck back" money and hope to bring $1000 to the show. I plan to spend it all if I can fine the kind of stuff that interests me. Take note all you dealers! Hope to see lots of show "specials"!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.95.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 04, 2004 10:14AM

Some of the vendors were caught a little flat footed last year, as they didn't expect so many rod builders to attend. That sort of attendance by the rod building craft had never been experienced by any previous rod building show or seminar.

This year they should be in much better shape with regard to product amount and selection. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

There will be some television pre-coverage of The Rod Builders Show later in December this year and I think it will add to the expected attendance figures of 2005 even more than what we had originaly expected. I'll provide more details once I have them.

Posted by: david schaub (---.hstqtx02.covad.net)
Date: November 04, 2004 02:55PM

Tom,
I hope someone is pursuing a "local fishing show host" to do a program on the rodbuilding show. I know if we were to have something like that around here, the local guys would be fighting over who gets to do a show on the show. I have seen a couple of midwest shows that go to blank plants and manufacturing plants for lures as one of their annual list of productions for their audience. They can "plug" the goods of several of their sponsors all at once. I have a feeling that one inquiry could return a bunch of folks willing to get involved.
In this manner, many more people would get exposed to the rodbuilding business and to the fact that next year they need to go to the show themselves. It also provides advertising several months after the rodbuilding show is over.
Just a thought.
D

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.183.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 04, 2004 04:15PM

It's already a done deal. The marketing efforts for this show are unparalleled in the history of rod building. Much of what we've done won't be readily apparent until December, but I can assure you that the show will be at least twice as large and well attended as last year, and to be honest, if we surpass it by 3 times I won't be at all surprised. And remember, last year's show was the largest ever held anywhere by anyone, for rod builders. And not by a small margin, but many, many times over.

Posted by: Ken Wilkes (66.98.131.---)
Date: November 04, 2004 04:28PM

What is the word on the rod building shows in Washington and Pennsylvania? I've heard very little about either? Are they still on?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.183.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 04, 2004 04:36PM

The Fly Fishing Shows in both WA state and PA will have sections set aside for rod building. Neither will be on the same scale as what is taking place in Charlotte, but some beats none.

The reason you haven't heard or seen much about either is only because there is no one doing any major advertising or marketing for them other than on a local or regional scale. As far as I know, no national advertising is planned for either.

But yes, both are still on the books and I see no reason why that would change. You can consult The Fly Fishing Show website to obtain more info on either show.

Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.69-93-60.reverse.theplanet.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 08:03PM

Seattle is my old stomping grounds and I used to attend the Bellevue show. There are always a few rod building companies there. I'm pretty sure I saw Pacific Bay there recently. Usually one or two rod building dealers as well. But Tom's correct in that it is nothing at all like Charlotte. The fly section is as large or larger then Charlotte maybe, but the rod building section is not one tenth the size as Charlotte.

I attended Charlotte last year and was sort of blown away at what I saw. It's a full out show for rod builders and I'd travel completely cross country to attend. Nothing else like it from what I've seen so far.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 08:25PM

Last year's Charlotte Show was a wonderful event. Lots of stuff to see, feel and buy. The seminars were outstanding as well, and I learned a lot. Also, it was great for meeting other builders.

It's something a rodbuilder wouldn't want to miss.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.174.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 05, 2004 05:03PM

I was informed today that the official name of the show is being changed and registered as, "The National Rod Builders' Show."

Nothing else changes, but the name does better reflect the nature of the show now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster