I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help identifying wood
Posted by: Jeff Fultz (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2004 03:34AM

I need help identifying some wood I recently found. I posted a picture on the photo page. This stuff is very heavy, dense, and tight grained, making it a little difficult to work with. It produced an acrid yellow smoke when I bored out a small piece, nearly choking me to the point that I couldn't breathe. I know better so I immediately donned my respirator. I had my safety glasses on but the tiniest bit of this yellow smoke really bothered my eyes. This stuff must be extremely poisonous because I typically don't react to any other exotic woods that some people report problems with. After turning down a small piece I hit it with some paper finishing with 600 grit and the wood really took a nice shine. It has an oily feel like cocobolo but the grain is tighter than anything I'm used to seeing.

Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help identifying wood
Posted by: John Chase (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 02, 2004 04:45AM

Looks like lignam vitae to me...
Used to be used for blocks and eyes on sailing ships.
Really tough stuff!

Posted by: Ron Hossack (---.pimaco01.az.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2004 08:46AM

Jeff Fultz wrote:

> I need help identifying some wood I recently found. I posted a
> picture on the photo page. This stuff is very heavy, dense, and
> tight grained, making it a little difficult to work with.

I'm no expert by any means but it certainly looks like Sonoran Desert Ironwood and when you cut it it gives off the toxic fumes as you describe. matter of fact the best way I found to cut it was with a hacksaw with slow strokes letting the weight of the saw cut through
it.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: November 02, 2004 09:28AM

From looking at the pic, looks like some wood I used for a handle, Hawiian Koa.

Posted by: Bob Maulucci (---.bflony.adelphia.net)
Date: November 02, 2004 10:00AM

Jeff:
I think it is Cocobolo. It is nasty stuff, but comes out beautiful.

Bob

Date: November 02, 2004 10:21AM

It definitely isn't cocobolo, I have a lot of experience with cocobolo, and you are quit right Bob, it is nasty stuff also.

I think Ron wins the prize with his educated guess of Ironwood. It's funny, an old friend of mine made the same guess just based on the difficulty it presented in working it and the acrid smoke produced when boring it.

Ron sent me a photo of a pen turned out of Ironwood and the color, grain, and general appearance match the wood I have perfectly.

Thanks for everyones help!

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: November 02, 2004 11:13AM

Sorry, gotta' say that stuff is cocobolo, perhaps kingwood, though the orange tint of the recently cut block is more typical of cocobolo. I use quite a bit of cocobolo that looks exactly like your picture. Obviously, it could be something else, but the purple/orange hues make me think it's cocobolo.

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: November 02, 2004 11:22AM

Third vote for Cocobolo.

Mark

Date: November 02, 2004 11:37AM

The main reason I don't believe it's cocobolo is that the grain is much tighter than any cocobolo that I have ever had.

One other consideration is that the local wood store where I purchased this unmarked wood sells cocobolo (with not as tight a grain pattern) for about fives times the cost of this wood. Nobody at the store knew what it was either.

I have used various exotic dark woods that have softer lighter wood within them. It makes it difficult to work but the contrast turns out really nice.

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: November 02, 2004 12:38PM

It's Ipe.
It's a member of the rosewood family which is why people are confusing it with Cocobolo (also part of the rosewood family). It is the densest wood available (it sinks in water). It is also very hard and difficult to machine and requires sharp tools.

It's often used for decks and fences because of it's strength and rot resistance.

Christian

Posted by: Scott Olex (198.133.100.---)
Date: November 02, 2004 02:06PM

It sure looks like rosewood to me. I have a big hunk and it's tough to work, smokes and stings when centerboring and is very heavy and dense. Tough to work with but very pretty wood.

Posted by: Bob Maulucci (---.bflony.adelphia.net)
Date: November 02, 2004 02:23PM

Hi Jeff:
Last winter I made a bunch of pens from cocobolo that looked exactly like that stuff you showed and it was narsty stuff.
But, who is to say that what I bought was actually cocobolo? I have no idea, just know that is what they called it. It was dirt cheap at Rockler. Maybe 50 cents a blank tops.

Bob

Date: November 02, 2004 03:06PM

Bob -

It may have been Cocobolo, but I find Cocobolo very easy to mill and turn (other than the dust and smell). Where Ipe is very difficult to work with and can look almost identical to Cocobolo because they are both members of the rosewood family.

Because of Jeff's description of dense, heavy, and difficult to work - My guess would be Ipe.

The stuff you bought most likely is Cocobolo.

BTW I missed the Desert Ironwood comment. Ipe is sometimes referred to as Desert Ironwood.

Christian

Date: November 02, 2004 03:43PM

Jeff-

One easy way to tell is Ipe will sink (specific gravity of 1.1) where Cocobolo should float (specific gravity of .9).

Christian

Posted by: Russ Miller (63.192.25.---)
Date: November 02, 2004 03:59PM

Looks like cocobolo

Date: November 03, 2004 12:35AM

Christian,

Your right man, my mystery wood sinks like a rock. I also threw a piece of cocobolo in the bucket and sure enough it floated. I feel somehow vindicated...I just knew this stuff wasn't cocobolo...but then again, if it looks like a duck....walks like a duck...and smells like a duck....but alas...it doesn't float like a duck!!!

Posted by: Scott Olex (198.133.100.---)
Date: November 03, 2004 08:46AM

The only thing confusing me is that Ipe has an open grain. I have a piece of turned Ipe in my hand and I can feel the grain with my fingernail. It doesn't look like the grain is open in the picture. I've also seen cocobolo listed with a specific gravity as high as 1.10.

Can you feel the grain with your fingernail?

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: November 03, 2004 10:34AM

Personally, I've purchased cocobolo that varied quite a bit in weight. One blank to another has been quite different. Some harder to turn than others, and varied grain characteristics. It's possible that my vendor is unknowingly selling some Ipe as Cocobolo... anything is possible I guess. Now I have to throw some scraps into water and test for myself.

I'd say call it "Ipebolo" and charge a premium for the rare exotic wood ;-)

Mark

Date: November 03, 2004 12:13PM

OK, learned a little more about this mystery wood. Cocobolo and Ipe are both tropical rosewoods and Ipe is sometimes called Ironwood. Desert Ironwood is actually in the Pea family and it is found only in the Sonora Desert of the southwestern U.S. and northern Mexico. Desert Ironwood is the hardest wood I have ever come across. One cubic foot can actually weigh up to 66 pounds. I found some sources that use this wood for bearings that wear as well as case hardened steel. The stuff I have is definitely Desert Ironwood. I compared numerous sources (carvings, photos, etc.) and I have no doubt of what it is.

Andy Dear, have you ever come across burl Ironwood? I'll send you a link to some photos if you have never seen it. If by the rare chance you actually have some, let me know so I can buy some.

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: November 05, 2004 11:12AM

What a fascinating discussion, especially the part about specific gravity. The end result for me is that I definitely need to get some Ipe and desert Ironwood.

Thansk for all the great info. guys!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster