I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrap suggestions for Forecast blank.
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2004 02:55PM

I picked up a Forecast F764-5 blank to build my grandson his first fly rod for his birthday. The blank is listed as dark blue but it could pass for a dark emerald as well and has an underlying pattern that looks similar to a Tiger Eye. I'm not a fan of using CP and prefer to finish straight over the wraps but would use NCP thread to obtain a peticular color. Any suggestions in thread options to match the color of these blanks would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tim Collins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrap suggestions for Forecast blank.
Posted by: Robert Widmaier (---.evrtwa1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: November 01, 2004 03:37PM

Hi Tim.

I have built two Forcast blanks that are the dark blue color. One I wrapped with black thread, no CP and trim color of silver as I used chromed guides. The other rod I wrapped in navy blue (looks almost black), no CP and trim color of metallic blue. Both looked excellent. The navy color actually matched the blank color if you are trying to match the blank. I would think any blue color would look good on these blanks, depending on the look you are seeking.

Bob W

Posted by: David A. Fuller (---.NIPR.MIL)
Date: November 01, 2004 03:48PM

I have used forest green base wrap with gold metallic single inlaid threads, coupled with gold components from Sevier. That is, gold reel seat, single foot wire guides and a #3 sf guide or gold folding hookeeper as hookeeper. A very nice appearing package.
Silver and gold both highlight the dark green very nicely. So if using Green and silver, then nickle silver components look great too

good luck,
David A. Fuller
Great Basin Fishing Rods

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: November 01, 2004 04:59PM

Take a look at Gudebrod Cobalt Blue and Goldenrod trim bands. Don't be afraid of CP. Use it on these two colors. It looks great!

Posted by: Dave Potts (---.ktis.net)
Date: November 01, 2004 05:19PM

Tim,

I've got that blank also and I swear every time I look at it it looks like a different color. At times it looks blue and at other times it looks emerald green. At any rate, I bought and plan to use some dark blue thread with CP. I always thought those blanks were supposed to be dark blue.

Dave

Posted by: Kenneth Prager (---.175.90.197.Dial1.Philadelphia1.Level3.net)
Date: November 01, 2004 09:55PM

Garnet w gold trim band no CP ; Gold guide frames

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: November 02, 2004 05:36AM

I just finished a older Forecast(a slight difference in shade to the new ones and a coloration that ranges from teal to dark blue depending on the light) and used navy blue with CP(without it it looks more like black) and metallic copper trim.It is a STUNNING combination and the metallic copper really makes it look classy.

Most colors I prefer the look without CP but some of the really dark ones darken a tad too much for my liking and lose their vibrance.I don't like NPC thread at all for main wraps,especially on flyrods,as it looks less vibrant and almost like paint instead of thread.It looks good for trim bands though.

Posted by: Edwin Kime (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: November 02, 2004 07:46AM

I have used the used the Gudebrod Blue 245 with gold trim and think it looks really good. I used black guides on my rod and gold on my wifes and grandaughters. My wife wanted Red not Blue thread on her rod though.

Good Fishing,
Ed Kime

Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 02, 2004 10:48AM

If this is the older version of the forecast blanks it takes on a slight blue green hue. My favorite colors and most requested for this combo is Teal thread with no CP and a single inly of metallic aqua. This combo seems to take on the color of the blank and melts right in. It looks very classy.

Give it a try,

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: November 02, 2004 08:51PM

blue dun is a great match for the OLD forecast fly blank color.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Bill LaFever (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2004 06:27PM

I just completed a Forecast F805-2DB fly rod in a rod building class. As you will note, the manufacturer calls this color “Dark Blue” which it is if the light is dim or does not go directly into to the blank. When I look into the blank (in the sun light) I see a blue/green color. I tried Teal with a silver trim wraps and it was OK, but it did not match. Then I found Gudebrod Metallic Aquamarine (9252) and it is a perfect match. I also used Gudebrod Silver Metallic (9002) for the trim. I was a little concerned that it was too bright, but once I added the U-40 Dura Gloss LS Supreme wrapping finish it looks great.

I will say that the metallic tread is a little more of a problem to work with then Nylon but it was worth the extra effort.

Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster