I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Orvis Far and Fine
Posted by: Scott Laurent (---.kc.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 10:15PM

I have a Orvis Clearwater Classic 7'9" 5 wt. I have heard that it is the same as the Orvis Far and Fine. The Common Cents database has this ranked with an ERN of 3.86 and an AA of 60.

I have two questions. First, does anyone no for sure if the Clearwater Classic was built on the same taper as the Far and Fine. Second, does the Comon Cents data suggest that the best weight line for this rod in general would be a 4 weight line?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Orvis Far and Fine
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 30, 2004 10:29PM

What line would be best depends on the distance you plan to cast and fish. That's what the Common Cents System is all about.

I'll take a guess and say that a rod with a 3.86 will fish a #4 line pretty well inside of about 35 or 40 feet. Should be great in closer. Farther than that and it will run out of gas pretty quick. Better stick to a #3 if you're going to fish distances of more than about 35 feet or so.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.39.161.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: November 01, 2004 07:27AM

Scott, keep in mind that most bamboo, fiberglass, or early graphite rods will test much lower on the ERN scale than contemprorary graphite rods. This, in my opinion, is because of 1) the distance wars which have turned rod design into the arms race; and 2) people's preferences and expectations have changed over the last 25-30 years.

Nevertheless, the Far and Fine and many rods of similar relative power and vintage, have remained popular among anglers who prefer the way that rod feels with the rated line at most fishing distances. Just try out a few lines and decide what you like. I can tell you from first hand experience that that rod is a pure delight to fish with a 5wt. line if you like that feel. And if you don't, it will probably be frustratingly underpowered. But, that rod is a classic that many people absolutely love and there must be a reason for that don't you think?

Next question, I don't know if the Clearwater classice 795 is the same blank but Orvis' own advertising made that claim up until about 15 months ago. I asked Orvis about it and the difference in price between the Far and Fine blank and the Clearwater warrantied rod (essentially the same price) and that claim disappeared within 1 week of my inquiry (coincidence or not, I don't know).

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.tnt47.dca5.da.uu.net)
Date: November 01, 2004 08:37PM

I have a 17 year old Far and Fine that has been fished with 5 weight lines for all of the thousands of hours I've used it. I can't say I've ever been tempted to try a 4 on it, much less a 3. I guess that would make it feel faster, but if I want a fast 4 I think I'd do better with a different rod entirely.

The F&F has a very unique feel to it, I think- although I might just feel this way because of my lone love affair with my rod. I love it.

Bear in mind, Orvis recently got rid of all the old "Superfine" blanks- replacing the entire series with sanded blanks that are supposedly made in a different way. So cherish that rod- you probably will never be able to get another just like it.

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: November 02, 2004 08:13PM

Yes definitely keep that rod. When the Clearwaters were first introduced, if I'm not mistaken, the 7'9"-5wt Clearwater was called a "Far & Fine" as well. One thing that always puzzled me back then was that the blank for the Far & Fine cost more than the whole Clearwater rod, which was supposedly made from the same blank.

Posted by: Peter Mulbjerg (---.aalborg.dk)
Date: November 04, 2004 02:20AM

Just a note on the Clearwater Classic blanks - I emailed Orvis to ask how the blanks are finished and if they have a spiral finish like the old superfine models had.
The Clearwater Classic blanks are sanded and painted black. If it is the same blanks - how will sanding them affect the action ?

Thanks
Peter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster