I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

building a weird rod....Need Help!!!
Posted by: Dave Fullbright (---.hstqtx02.covad.net)
Date: October 26, 2004 03:48PM

My customer wants a 5'6", 50-80# class rod. Here's the catch. He needs it to be a 2 piece!

The rod will be used to fish off of rigs and must break down into two pieces no longer than 2.75 ft. per section so that it can be discretely taken aboard a helicopter.

He says he tucks the rod butt up under his left armpit when fighting a fish so he would prefer a hypolon handle.

It looks like my only choice is to take a heavy, one piece, offshore blank and somehow make it into a two piece! Can this be done?

Does anyone have any ideas??

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: building a weird rod....Need Help!!!
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.253.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: October 26, 2004 04:18PM

The article that ran in RodMaker some time ago showed how to make such a heavy duty ferrule - you need an inner and over-sleeve in combination.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2004 05:45PM

Buy a solid fiberglass blank, a rear grip, an 8'' fore frip and a Lakeland model no. 5163S two piece reel seat. Cut the blank so that you have enough length to put together your components for the grip.
Sometimes i use a gimbal but most often i use a large rubber butt cap. Then you will have to trim the top section the length that you need. I use two turbo type guides and an Aftco roller top. Normally those solid fiberglass blanks don't have a coating on them so i'll wrap the blank in any of the j metallic brand threads to give them a color. I then coat the blank and the guides with three coats LS Supreme.
Yeah, i know what all of you are thinking; you shouldn't use an epoxy as a coating for your rods but i've been building these "Helicopter Rods" for six years now and have not had any problems with the finish peeling off.

Lance

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2004 11:16PM

Lance ...
Are these guys fishing from the oil rigs?

Posted by: Lance Dupre (68.206.181.---)
Date: October 27, 2004 12:27AM

Yes they are, Ken. I use Shakespeare solid fiberglass blanks. The only complaint that i have ever received is that they have been stolen from some of my customers.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.tnt5.ewr3.da.uu.net)
Date: October 27, 2004 08:54AM

Maybe you can sell them Theft Insurance?? LOL

Posted by: Andy Woodford (---.dsl.pacific.net.au)
Date: October 27, 2004 09:18AM

I'd be interested to find out what you end up going for and how well it performs.

I've been looking at doing something similar myself and had pretty well decided that buying two blanks, one for the rod and one for ferrules was probably the best way to go.

The jury is still out on that one though.

Please keep us informed

AndyDave Fullbright wrote:

> My customer wants a 5'6", 50-80# class rod. Here's the catch.
> He needs it to be a 2 piece!
>
> The rod will be used to fish off of rigs and must break down
> into two pieces no longer than 2.75 ft. per section so that it
> can be discretely taken aboard a helicopter.
>
> He says he tucks the rod butt up under his left armpit when
> fighting a fish so he would prefer a hypolon handle.
>
> It looks like my only choice is to take a heavy, one piece,
> offshore blank and somehow make it into a two piece! Can this
> be done?
>
> Does anyone have any ideas??
>
> Dave
>

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: October 27, 2004 09:36AM

I'm with you Lance, All my standups and offshore rods are completly coated with Flexcoat, at least 2 coats somtimes 3 or 4. I have sold hundreds of these rods over the years and have not one customer complain about the finish.Jesse

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.tnt5.ewr3.da.uu.net)
Date: October 27, 2004 11:37AM

Now I feel better. I have thinned out Glass Coat like water and covered a painted blank with it. UL. I beat the heck out of it and it seems to be holding up well

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: October 27, 2004 01:47PM

My brother-in-law works the rigs off the mouth of the Mississippi River and uses a solid glass rod to fish with. It is a two piece shorty as described by Mr Dupre.

He fishes for Amberjack and other species and catches some humongous ones. C2

Posted by: Dave Fullbright (---.hstqtx02.covad.net)
Date: October 27, 2004 05:01PM

Thanks Lance, and everyone else who replied!

I didn't know anyone else was building this type of rod. I've never heard of it before!

Thanks
Dave

Posted by: Barry McGuire (---.newt1.ct.charter.com)
Date: October 27, 2004 07:35PM

Dave..Not that many years ago (at least, to me), you would've been advised to simply buy and install the proper size chrome-over-brass or aluminum Feralite-type ferrule. For your purposes, I'm having trouble seeing anything wrong with this approach today. I suspect it'd be easier and cheaper, and just as reliable.Essentially, measure the diameter of the rod where you intend to cut it, and buy the closest size ferrule set to fit.I doubt this kind of ferrule is still being produced, but most of the supply dealers who've been around a while have new old stock. A hacksaw and a little Rodbond,and you oughta be in business. Good luck. Barry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster