I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Concept Guide Taper?
Posted by: Joe Brooks (---.spokane-08-09rs16rt.wa.dial-access.att.net)
Date: February 27, 2002 12:15AM

I am getting ready to build my first rod with the Fuji Concept guide arrangement. I have read the info on Fuji’s site, and got some guide spacing recommendations from Mudhole. I attached the guides with surgical tubing and they looked OK.

Then I got to thinking about something I read somewhere about spacing the first guides so the cone the line traces between the spool and the choke guide is the same size as the guide rings. The concept seems reasonable, but when I do that the bottom guide moves way up the blank toward the tip. I moved the guides and did some practice casts and the line traveled through the guides fine, with no slap or bunching.

I did this with all of the guides recommended for the more standard layout, which left me with an extra guide before the choke. The weather’s pretty crappy in Spokane right now so I’m waiting for warmer weather before I try it again without the extraneous guide.

Am I letting myself in for trouble by arranging the larger guides to conform to the cone from the reel to the choke guide? I am interested in any wisdom I can get on this board before I go beyond the point of no return. I ordered the Rodbuilder back-issues with the Concept guide articles. I don’t know if my questions will be answered there. How long does it usually take you to mail a back-issue, Tom?

Thanks,
Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Concept Guide Taper?
Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: February 27, 2002 07:42AM

Hi Joe,
I think what you are doing is moving the largest guide up the blank to the intersection point. The intersection point takes the smaller guide, and from that point on back to the foregrip, you place your guides, with a graduation small to large until you reach the area where you place the larger guide. Going back to the point of intersection to the tip to go the remainder of the smallest guides. Look at the picture again and try to see the guides, even though it is somewhat hard to see.
Sanford

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 27, 2002 08:21AM

The RodMaker issue has the BEST info on the Concept System. MUCH better than anything on Fuji's own site. I have gotten back issues in as little as a week.

You can't use recommended guides, instead you have to let the rod and line tell you which sizes you need. The last issue of RodMaker even had a nice tip where you lay the rod on a table and put the spool centerline in line with the table edge. The place were the blank runs off the table edge is the intersection point. Put your smallest guide there and more of them on out to the tip top of the same size. Back from the intersection point you will select and size your guides so that they reach from the blank and touch the table edge. This keeps the line on a straight path. That's really all there is to it.

Oh yes, the ring of the butt guide should be roughly 1/2 the diameter of the reel spool.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 27, 2002 09:50AM

Back issues are usually mailed within 24 to 48 hours of the receipt of order.

The information in the Fuji literature and now on their site was what I originally used. I found it very disappointing, but we have to remember that it is an overview of the concept, not a strict guideline on what to use and how to use it. What you need to do is understand the concept and then you can implement it for your specific rod with excellent results.

Date: February 27, 2002 10:29AM

Sanford, what I did was put a small guide at the intersection point(if my rusty trig was right) and positioned larger guides so when I rotated the bail, the line would trace the inside of the guide ring. Then I put my 7 and 6mm guides out to the tip.

The thing that concerns me is that the large guide (30mm Alconite) is quite far from the reel. It doesn't cause line slap or bunching at the guide, it just looks different than I am used to seeing.

I'm not averse to building a rod that doesn't look like a mass-production rod (it is custom after all), I just don't want to screw it up out of ignorance of some subtle detail.

Thanks,
Joe

Date: February 27, 2002 10:32AM

William,

Which issue of the magazine had the guide alignment tip? It sounds like a nice approach.

My butt guide is a 30mm. I'll measure but I think that is a little larger than 1/2 the spool diameter. What is the downside to using a larger butt guide?

Thanks,
Joe

Date: February 27, 2002 10:36AM

You are likely on the right track. However, you can slightly adjust that first guide closer to the reel if you truly feel it is too far from the feel face.

Yes, that does mean the line will angle up a bit more sharply than the spool does, but as long as the line travels straght from the butt guide on to the intersect guide, it really does not harm much of anything.

On some of the ones I have done, the line does not trace a ring around the first guide, but rather sits almost totally on the outside inner edge of the guide ring when the bail is rotated. Performance is great.

Lucky for us, fishing line is flexible and will bend or deflect a bit. Compromise is nearly always needed in some regard.

Date: February 27, 2002 10:39AM

The Volume 5 Issue 1 RodMaker (out now) has the photo and quick set-up guide. Works remarkably well and takes maybe all of 2 mintues to set up. Test casting shows it to be just about "on the money" right out of the box.

Using a guide that is a bit too large should not really harm anything. I tend to go undersize a bit, but usually tell others to "round up" on the 1/2 size thing.

Posted by: Dan Corbett (---.rback0.flnt.mi.voyager.net)
Date: February 27, 2002 01:59PM

Here's the key to the butt guide placement for concpet spinning rods. You need to make sure your testing with the approximate lines size and style the rod will be built for. TEST TEST TEST. I've found that the heavier the line the closer it needs to be and visa versa. All the advice given above is good and correct to my experience. Just make sure you don't set up and test a rod for 8'lb line and then wonder why it cast and retrieves so bad with 14. Believe me I
learned the hard way! LOL

Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.midtn.chartertn.net)
Date: February 27, 2002 11:16PM

If you watch your line while you're testing & move guides to where the oscillations are almost completely eliminated by the time the line exits the second guide you'll be well on your way to getting optimum spacing of your butt guides. If you have a black light and flourescent line you will be amazed at the difference that the New Concept system makes compared to the "cone of flight" method in eliminating line oscillation and consequently in reducing wind resistance. The choke guide & the remaining guides will determine the fish fighting ability of the rod. The number and positioning of these must be determined through some sort of static deflection. See Don Morton's article on "equal angle spacing" in the previous issue of RM.

Butt Guide Size?
Date: March 04, 2002 11:20PM

William and Tom mentioned that the butt guide ring should be 1/2 the size of the reel spool. Is that the "specified" size, or the actual inside diameter?

For example, my spinning reel spool diameter is 41mm. Is the preferred butt guide a size 20 guide, or whatever guide has an actual 21mm inside diameter?

Joe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster