I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Last thread(s) in closed wrap...
Posted by: Kelly Verge (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 25, 2002 06:22PM

Is the proper technique just pack, pack, pack, or is there a trick to filling the last little bit of (uneven) space?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Last thread(s) in closed wrap...
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 25, 2002 08:33PM

If you use what is known as a taper offset layout you will automaticallly fill those areas. In this type layout the centers are adjusted before you start the wrap in order to take into account the different amount of thread needed to fill in background as you reach an area of smaller diameter. If you don't have much taper and just use the regular spacing then you will have to pack one end tightly and slighty spread the other end to get the same amount of fill at both ends. Happy packing.

Posted by: David Boyle (203.41.122.---)
Date: February 25, 2002 08:41PM

G'day Kelly.

I think the real trick is to get your intial layout correct so that it accounts for the taper of the rod. Failing this, one trick I use is to vary the tension of the thread as I do the wrap. Pulling the thread tighter makes it take up less space on the blank, and it is possible to progressively increase or decrease the tension on a thread as it makes its way along the blank.

Regard
David

Date: February 25, 2002 09:03PM

Too late for either of those suggestions - I'll remember them for next time. ;) I'm 2 threads from done and I had to make room for the last one in quite a few areas.

Unfortunately, I caused the spacing problems by uneven tension (by hand), so there's no real rhyme or reason to it.

It's looking really good (gold/tan/copper scales with pewter outlines), so it will be worth the effort when I finish. Back to packing... =D

The finish is on...
Date: February 26, 2002 04:35PM

I put the finish on and it went on like a dream (Flex Coat over CP). The rod's turning now with the final coat (probably).

If it hadn't been for all of the advice from this board I would have never been able to do it. And thank you Tom for talking me out of throwing out the Flex Coat.

I mixed it on a piece of aluminum foil over a ceramic tile. There were quite a few fine bubbles in it as I mixed (even though I used a wipe/spread action to mix), but after it was mixed, I spread it out across the surface of the foil, and about 45 seconds later all the bubbles released at once. I'm guessing it was from the heat of the reaction.

The drying motor really, really helped. Without it, there's no way I could get as smooth of a finish during application as I did with the motor. If anyone reading this doesn't have one, at the least go to allelectronics.com and get the little $2.50 gear motor. It was really easy to set up using a PVC-cap chuck and a dimmer switch to control the speed.

I did have a couple of "learning moments" during the assembly and finishing of this rod (my first), but overall I'm very happy with the way it is turning out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster