I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trim wraps on base wrap
Posted by: Bob Scacheri (---.dol.net)
Date: February 22, 2002 04:10PM

I would like to put trim bands (3-4 threads) at both ends of both base wraps at the end of my butt wrap. I plan to try the two layer butt wrap suggested in Tom Kirkman's book. How do most people to this? Do you do the two layer wrap and then put the trim wrap on top of the two layers? Or do you place your trim bands directly on the butt wrap itself and then start the base wrap adjacent to the trim band? I am using "A" thread.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trim wraps on base wrap
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 22, 2002 08:46PM

Put 'em up next to the tie off wrap and they'll all form a nice flat surface. Put 'em on top and you have an ugly lump not to mention that A bands won't wrap well on top of D.

Make them up close and next to the tie off wrap.

Posted by: William Vivona (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: February 23, 2002 03:09PM

My opinion - rather than doing 2 base wraps at once, do one, CP/epoxy, then put the second layer over this. You'll have a smooth base to work with, and the tie off bands will be easy to do. If you try putting the tie off bands directly on the butt wraps, and use this as your tie off - if you make any mistakes there is a possibility the wrap will be ruined. With the one coat method, you'll have all threads in the wrap securely held and epoxied so you have little to worry about.

As for the bulk - there is none after a few coats of epoxy. WRapping A over D - with one coat of epoxy & a smooth base it doesnt matter.

Date: February 23, 2002 07:34PM

Actually you don't need to go to all that trouble. The trim wraps are not the tie off wrap. Make the tie off wrap first and just double back on itself and wrap back down to where you started. Remember to put you tie-off loop in! Any small gaps or creases won't even show after finishing. Something about the same colors on top of each other I guess. Then just make your trim wraps up against the tie off wraps and finish all at once. Very easy to do and works like a charm.

Posted by: William Vivona (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: February 23, 2002 07:51PM

Mike - that would require you to leave space at the ends for the trim when you double back, right?

Date: February 23, 2002 08:01PM

No, not at all. just put the trim on the wrap and next to the tie off wrap. It'll be flush and everything looks like one unit after you apply the finish.

I cannot say for sure, but the wraps on the last page of the last chapter Tom's book where it shows the different wraps and things you can do once you know the basic premise all have tie-off wraps done this way. I don't know that these are done that way, but since he outlines the procedure in the text I assume they are. And they sure are smooth and slick!

I have been doing mine this way for many years and find it the easiest and best looking for me.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 24, 2002 09:37AM

Yes, they were made with the method you mention. No one can tell that the tie-offs are double wraps and the trims are flush and square with the tie-off wraps.

Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 10:24AM

Mike,
Did you mean to say, "put the trim on the blank" next to the tie off wrap, rather that "put the trim on the wrap, which seems like it will leave bulk?
Sanford Hochman

Date: February 24, 2002 09:33PM

On the forward tie off it may fall on the blank on the tip most side. On the other ones it should read to be placed on the wrap next to the tie off. Sorry.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster