I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spigot Ferrules
Posted by: Rob Boughton (65.82.96.---)
Date: February 21, 2002 03:25PM

I noticed Winston Rod company is sold on the idea of spigot ferrules, claiming that multi-piece rods using tip over butt ferrules are full of dead spots. They appear to be alone in this accusation. Any wisdom from the board?

Subjective question: Are there 4-piece blanks you would rate better than Winston's--coming from those who have used their blanks or rods? They are beautifully finished and have great action but seem heavy in the hand to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spigot Ferrules
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 04:53PM

Rob,
I once spoke to a very expierenced and knowledgeable blank designer and manufacturer who has worked for several of the larger firms, and he had a very good explanation on the design and use of spigot ferrules. He told me that "Yes" spigot ferrules can provide a slightly more eficient transfer of energy throughout the length of the rod, but to do this you have to weaken the integrity of the ferrule itself. So then you beef up the integrity of the ferrule so it wont break and you are left with a rod that has more flat spots than one that uses the tip over bitt design, so it is a no win situation. Scott uses spigot ferrules as well as did the now defunct Fisher Co. for the reasons cited by Winston. I however believe that this has to be mostly marketing hype. Just ask Ralph O' Quinn and he'll tell you that he has repaired more tip sections of Fisher fly rods that broke at the spigot ferrule than any other brand or design.

Andy

Re: Spigot Ferrules
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 06:34PM

The tip-over-butt design has several advantages. It is a bit more expensive to design and produce, but most have moved towards it in the past few years.

Winston offers good blanks. There are others which I feel are better or at least better suited to my own tastes. And quite often for less money. I would suggest visiting some shops and casting a few. After awhile you'll get an idea which brand suits you the best. It may be Winston, it may something else.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster