I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can you REALLY repair a broken graphite rod?
Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 02:12PM

I've read here and there that broken rods can be repaired, but I've never met anyone that can do it.

Is this just fantasy and heresay, or is there really a way to do it?

I'm guessing the answer is no, but I figured I'd ask first!

TH

Options: ReplyQuote
ABSOLUTELY!
Posted by: Bill Falconer (65.116.172.---)
Date: February 21, 2002 02:19PM

Tony-

Depending on the severity of break and where it is, the answer to your question more often than not is YES - most rods can be repaired. If it is completely shattered you may not have much of a chance, but if it is a relatively intact break or split it can usually be fixed.

Ralph O'Quinn is the best I've seen at this. I was as skeptical as you are until I sent a few his way that I thought were beyond hope. He fixed them up good as new (although you could tell they had been repaired). If you look at back issues of Rodmaker, several types of breaks and their respective fixes have been detailed. I'm sure others here can give you info on the specific issues. There are also several threads in the history that pertain to breaks and their repairs if you want to take a shot at fixing it yourself.

If you are looking for someone else to fix it, check out tackleworks.org - it's a site that has state-by-state listings of repair people. You should be able to find one near you. I hope this helps - good luck!

Bill

Re: ABSOLUTELY!
Date: February 21, 2002 02:28PM

INTERESTING!

So cracked or split rods have a chance, one that is broken in two is, pretty much done as far as being returned to a similar state to pre-break?

I've seen a "repair" where a blank was "sleeved" inside the broken rod, but in my opinion, the rod became so heavy, and the flex was so impaired, that it was nothing you would want to fish with.

What makes me ask, is that I broke a rod pulling an anchor rope up against a current. The rod simply snapped about 1/3 the way from the tip. I hated when that happened. Was a great rod, but I cannot see a way to repair such a break without sleeving the rod, and therefore ruining the action.

TH

Posted by: Dwayne Rye (---.wff.nasa.gov)
Date: February 21, 2002 02:38PM

In a couple of back issues of Rod Maker There are indepth articles that discuss the How To's in repairing the rod. These articles not only discuss putting the rod back together, but how to put it back together and maintain the same action and feel. I've repaired rods similar to where your rod is broke and the action has not been effected, or to be more accurate with my statement, is VERY close to the action and feel the rod had prior to the break. I would have to say that most rods can be repaired quite nicely, if the individual making the repair uses the proper repair materials, and follows a few simple techniques.

Posted by: Mark Schulte (---.tnt3.valparaiso.in.da.uu.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 03:14PM

I have been waiting to try to repair a broken rod but the ones that keep coming my way are destroyed. I mean like shattered, splinters all over the place. I have even considered snapping a few of my older ,out of service rods and try to repair. I want to put it under load like most anglers would to the point of breaking so it would be a fair comparison. Am I being ridiculous or have others done this.
Mark Schulte

Date: February 21, 2002 03:34PM

"I mean like shattered, splinters all over the
place."

That is what my rod is like... shattered.

TH

Yes, it can be repaired
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 04:55PM

It can still be repaired with the proper technique. The only real limit as to what can be repaired lies more with how much time and effort you are willing to put into it.

The January/February 2000 issue of RodMaker has Ralph's article. It is the best thing I have yet seen on the subject.

Re: Yes, it can be repaired
Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.midtn.chartertn.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 11:06PM

You will be surprised how little the "sleeving" effects the action of the rod and they actually add only a slight amount of weight. While you can tell by looking where the repair was made it is not objectionable in appearance. I refinished the sleeves the same color as the blank (or use a sleeve of the same color) & no problem. The sleeved area becomes the strongest part of the rod & should never cause another problem.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ym.rnc.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: February 23, 2002 11:06AM

If you go to flyanglersonline.com and go to their rod building site you will find the Ralph O'Quinn article on rod repair. This is the article that was in Rodmaker Mag. and posted there with permission from Tom and Ralph.

Rolly

Posted by: Andy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 02, 2002 12:01AM

All I know what to do if you have a broken graphite rod is to turn it into a jigging stick for ice fishing (if you live where you can ice fish safely). Cut the broken part of the rod with the tip top to the desired lenght. Glue on a cork grip with two sliding rings to mount the reel. Remove any guides that are close to the grip if you need to.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster