I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glass Coat
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 08, 2004 06:02PM

Have been using Glass Coat for about 8 months to cover butt wraps. I just tried to remove an A Guidebod underwrap from a rod that is about 6 months old.

I have rebuilt a number of class 50 and 80 rods that were quite old and really had no problem picking at the thread and finding a starting place and simply unwinding the thread which normally just pulls through the finish. I am assuming that the old finish was mostly Flexcoat. It was still partially flexible and allowed the thread to be easily removed.

Getting the thread off the blank with the Glass Coat is a formidable task. The stuff is hard as rock and you can not unwind the thread without breaking. Heating seems to help a little but not much. If you are doing repairs plan on spending more time than usual to remove wraps when they are finished with Glass Coat. I have not stripped any guides that were done with Glass Coat as yet. I hope the stuff can be removed with out damaging blanks.

Gon Fishn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glass Coat
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 08, 2004 06:16PM

Glass Coat and high build LS are my go-to finishes these days. Great products but each is quite a bit different from the other.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 08, 2004 06:53PM

How about removing wraps where Aftcote was used. Any experience out there? My recent "comedy of errors" rod turned out to have a ferrule/guide wrap around 4 degrees off. I really thought I checked alignment - but it is getting more difficult with progressive lenses.

Will want to travel with the rod on Sept 25th, and thought I'd wait until winter, but will change now if it will be easier to remove the epoxy now (four days old) rather than later.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 08, 2004 07:25PM

Aftcote seems a little soft to me. I don't think that it would cause any problems but it tends to peel off pretty easily if you do want to remove it.

Posted by: Fred Murphy (---.stkn.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: September 08, 2004 11:54PM

Jeff: Dump the progressives, at least with the lines, I can tell which one of my three lenses I'm looking through!

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: September 09, 2004 09:58AM

One of the positive points about professional grade Glass Coat is its durability.
Finishes aren't designed for easy removal. They're designed to offer lifetime thread protection and can only do that by being "tough." Finishes that are easy for builders to remove generally don't do a very good job staying on the rod over the long haul.

Rich Garbowski

Posted by: Bill Boettcher (---.250.57.232.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: September 09, 2004 01:50PM

That is why I use it Rich. If it came of easy, I would figure it ain't stickin

Posted by: Coach Paul Bagby (---.81.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: September 09, 2004 05:08PM

Rich got me hooked on it and I use it for all my saltwater rods.
You can get it in large bottles.

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 02:46PM

Hio, Coach.....Are you fishing cold water or warm water in the salt? I have a request to do some work for a pacific northwest rodster...where the air temp will be in the 50's F, and the water temp relative.
I'd normally use another product, but over the winter months, glass coat's my friend, as it sets up faster than the other resins I use, when the WX warms up some.
For others reading: feel free to come in with your opinions regarding Galss Coat for use in salt conditions, warm or cold. Thanks in advance (TIA) KD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster