I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Customize cork grip?
Posted by: Goran Sandberg (194.192.189.---)
Date: February 21, 2002 11:21AM

Would like to have som advice on how to customize the grip.
I am about to build a grip of cork rings, and would like to have some decorative inlays between some of the rings. What kind of material could be used here? If i use rings of wood, would that work or would the grip be uncomfortable to hold/fish with? Maybe leather?
I suppose that burl cork rings with different color would do the trick, but any other material would be interesting.......
Thanks....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Customize cork grip?
Posted by: Dan Corbett (---.rback0.flnt.mi.voyager.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 11:38AM

Try Customgrip II from Clemens. They have rings that come in different diameters. It turns down easily and looks great. I like the black. Click on the Clemens link at the left and check it out.

Posted by: Leon Jorgensen (---.tnt1.charleston.sc.da.uu.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 11:40AM

Unless you have a very deft and experienced hand at the lathe, you will probably want to stick with materials that abrade at about the same rate as cork. At least for your first efforts. One obvious choice is foam. Go to the www.momentoffame.com web site and look at the picture labelled "pinstripe grip". He used 2mm thick foam from the craft area at Walmart for a very delicate effect. Somewhat thicker sheets of EVA foam in various colors are available from several of the sponsors at the left. You will get lots of other ideas from that website as well.

Posted by: John Chaney (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 11:41AM

I use cork rings, both regular cork and burl. I have got an inlay jig from Clemens. I figure the pattern and cut the cork with a razor blade. I use the same wood that I use on my reel seat to make two trim rings for my grip, one on the front and one on the back of the grip. You can also pick up trim rings with different colors and do a checkerboard inlay. Looks great and people will notice it!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 12:04PM

There will be an article in the next issue of RodMaker that details some new materials and ways of assembling and turning these into some really beautiful grips. It's a very detailed article and should expand the craft's knowledge in this area.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 12:14PM

Goran,
I have been using rubberized cork with great success for grip inlays for several years now. This is not "Burl Cork" but rather rubberized cork much like what is used on fighting butts etc... You can buy this stuff from some suppliers, but I'll let you in on a little secret. You can get this stuff from Gasket supply shops really cheap. Often times I have coerced the owner into letting me into his srap pile for free. Several Auto parts stores like NAPA carry it as gasket material as well. You can get in many different thicknesses from 1/8" on up to 1/2' or more. I have made some really striking grips with this stuff that have really drawn a lot of attention from local Bass Fishermen. There is a picture of one of the grips in the last issue of Rodmaker from the article I wrote on turning reel seats.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 12:43PM

I forgot to add, this stuff comes in sheets, so you'll have to get a 1 1/4" hole saw and cut into rings.....works really good!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster