I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Who makes rods for Shimano?
Posted by: Butch North (---.juneau-01-04rs16rt.ak.dial-access.att.net)
Date: February 20, 2002 10:15PM

Any one know who makes the rods that Shimano sells? The reason I ask is because I have a couple of the TDR med. heavy and a couple of the triton extra heavy I bought from a charter guy at a somewhat fair price, about $10.00 a pole. They are in pretty rough shape. They need to be repainted, refinished, and new guides put on. Is it worth all the work and cost of paint, finish, and guides to do this? I'm new at this rod work and repairs so any info. or advice on this would be great.Thanks Butch North

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who makes rods for Shimano?
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 10:20PM

Shimano makes their own rods or has them made at plants overseas. There is some talk that Loomis may be making some of the high end ones.

For me completely redoing factory rods is not something that will pay you. If somebody really likes the rod and wants it upgraded or you want to practice then I guess that's fine. For me, I would buy one of the inexpensive blanks and build one up from scratch. I think you'd still get a better overall rod that way.

Posted by: Greg Rodrigues (192.223.226.---)
Date: February 21, 2002 10:47AM

I have a Shimano spinning rod that I use to demonstrate why some factory models are inferior to custom rods. The spine is 90 degrees off center and is so obvious that my 5 year old can find it!!!

Posted by: Ray Alston (63.119.95.---)
Date: February 21, 2002 10:59AM

A guy brought in a Shimano spinning rod recently for me to repair the guides. When I removed the #30 guide (which had a funny looking wrap) I found that they had taken two blanks and glued them together, one inside the other, and then hid the joint under the guide wrap. This was a fairly expensive Shimano rod. This worked out great as he ordered two new rods from me immediately. He told me this rod had never been worked on before, that he bought it this way. I was amazed that anyone, especially a company this large would do something like that.

Ray Alston
Goldrush Rods

Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.midtn.chartertn.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 11:12PM

Since Shimano now owns G-Loomis it might just be possible that they are getting their higher end rods made by Loomis

Posted by: Felix Cartagena (---.rasserver.net)
Date: February 22, 2002 11:43AM

I think all the calcutta rods from shimano may be made by Loomis, these rods are definately better quality than there other lines. The Calcutta line of rods were made for there line of Calcutta reels which are a standard in high quality and technology. But I do agree one can make an equal if not better custom rod with a blank that cost less but has similar taper and action. I have the 720 MJA and MFA rods for my 400 and 700, and recently built replacements for them with higher quality components and they look so much better :)

Shimano Calcutta's 720 MJA and MFA cost = $200.00 each
My cost for replacements = $180 for both, higher quality components and equal quality in blank.

Posted by: Dorge (---.il.sprintbbd.net)
Date: February 22, 2002 12:37PM

In the older days, all shimano rod are made by NFT. As NFT is being absorbed by Shimano, now I am not sure you can call it NFT or a shimano subsiderate. As Shimano also pouches Loomis, some of their rod are now manufactured by loomis. Be very careful that a loomis design blank is significant from a Shimano design rod. Shimano's design use the benefit of the 42 Ton graphite which IMHO is better than IM7 but as durable as IM6. Now shimano also have a factory in China, which built rod/blank for so many people I am not sure who is what, Ah! I forgot about the korean outfit too. the old NFT only shimano is gone AFAIK.

Good fishing (catching) <*)))))))>{

Posted by: Bill Tune (66.147.9.---)
Date: February 22, 2002 03:35PM

My understanding is that Loomis assembles some rods for Shamino and that they do not use Loomis blanks at persent. It would make sense that they might have some Loomis/Shamino rods in the future, but for now Loomis is selling about everything they can make. That may have something to do with cutting back on blanks for custom builders. Gary did say a year ago that they were trying to increase production for the custom market and they do have a blank catalog again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster