I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CRAFTSMANSHIP COST
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 20, 2002 04:14AM

How to price a rod has had a lot of excellant responces. Well I guess it starts with how many years of experiece, what degree of knowledge does one have, Anyone can assemble a blank and make it fishable. A true cratsman can take a blank and make it a fishing machine that is also a work of art. Too bad there is not a apprentace program to jugde competence. Then we need a jurneymans status also.
By reading past threads there are a good number of what I call super jurneyman out there to help the begginner rod builder
So when it come to charging a price for your Cratsmanship. I say do't under price your talant and experience. I know a man who sales his samon mooching rods for well over1,00.00 dallors He puts his soul and the love of rod building in to each rod he designs and builds.
His philosophy is simple. He want to do the best he can with each rod he builds. Because the rod represents himself
Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CRAFTSMANSHIP COST
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 20, 2002 08:43AM

I agree. I have also spent considerable space in many past issues of RodMaker discussing the aspects of fit and finish, craftsmanship and rod pricing. It remains one of the most troubling aspects of the craft for many builders.

Re: CRAFTSMANSHIP COST
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 05:41PM

Hi,

When you start working in many trades you begin as an apprentice and as you progress so does your pay, knowledge, experience and not necessarily in that order. When this apprentice decides to strike out on his own he should be totally prepared for it which includes the business side.

Some one who wants to become a rod designer/builder in most cases does not have this opportunity. Many times because it starts as a hobby and others because jobs do not exist. I believe that is why most of us have gone thru these troubling stages.

All the new entries to our vocation/avocation are very fortunate to have web sites such as this one to get help for themselves. The knowledge shared on this site and others is invaluable.

Capt Neil

Craftsmen
Posted by: Robert Loman (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 08:04PM

A program such as you mention may soon be offered to rod builders. Most trades have one and this one can too. It requires a lot of background work but something is in the early stages of development.

Re: Craftsmen
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: February 20, 2002 08:57PM

Guys,
Much lately has been spoken to what 'Value', beauty, or performance there is about custom rods, and those in the craft at whatever level mention much about comparisons between what one may charge, how to market, and so on.

The Custom Rod Builder's Guild also is an interesting organization that could use members, and is on a path towards growth. Don't know really that an organization will be totally successful with the notion of comparison to a true trade (such as electricians, plumbers and such) with the aspect of journeyman to master level. Much has to be defined towards this goal, and it's relevance toward skill development as a craft. Some discussion of this seems to go in endless circles in various places.

What I also hear about of interest from custom rodbuilding craftsmen, is the need to pursue on a professional level, some sort of collective marketing system, if you will. Lot's of individuals or groups can give ideas about marketing custom rods. My feeling is that much more can be done to pursue efforts towards this goal in aiding professional rodbuilder's to a developed or developing market for their craft. This certainly will take public education about what it is the craft and it's craftsmen represent. It will take a level of education for the craftsmen in assuring that the product will be worthy of recognition as a special custom crafted rod. This will likely take an organizational or collective effort to achieve, in my opinion. In the end though, many are asking for efforts toward increasing the market demand for quality individually custom crafted rods.

something to consider.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods.

Re: Craftsmen
Posted by: Frank Thramer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 09:31PM

I inquired as to membership in this guild you mention but there didn't seem to be any benefits that they could list. I'm all for supporting the hobby or business but I think if a group formed that could offer these programs or some business advice or assistance they could really go places.

I'm thinking of where someone who wanted to get started in rod building would go to learn the trade. I think most all of us got started with a book and then just learned as we went. It would be much better if you could go take a full fledged course in rod building at a community college or something. I know that isn't likely though.

Robert Loman, please continue
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.55.77.rlgh.grid.net)
Date: February 20, 2002 10:12PM

Robert, what is being contemplated and who is contemplating it?

Rich, the Guild has been in an endless circle with the level of craftsmanship issue (as well as other issues) since it was started. I fought the craftsmanship level battle for a long time with the Guild leadership and got tired of fighting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster