I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sulky thread
Posted by: steve walters (192.132.24.---)
Date: February 19, 2002 01:48PM

I've read on here a few times about using sulky thread so I figured I'd try some. Do any of you that use it know how well CP works on it? Over all, I'm not impressed with the stuff at all but the rod is done exept for the finish so I guess I'll see how it holds up. Anyway, CP?

Thanks, steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sulky thread
Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2002 02:32PM

CP should work as well on the sulky rayon as with any other thread.

What type thread are you using Ive used the 40wt rayon embroidery thread not the low end poly thread they offer with good results and like the amount of colors available.

One thing is that the thread is very fine and must be handled like gossemer silk.

CP should work as well on the sulky thread as with any other I know that many weavers use the sulky thread.

Happy wraps "John"

Posted by: steve walters (192.132.24.---)
Date: February 19, 2002 02:44PM

I know I'm using the 40wt but I'm not sure if it' s the rayon. The strenth of it seems a little light. I guess that could be because of the diameter. I bought it at Hobby Lobby for about 3.19 a spool. There were a lot of colors. I wonder if I bought the poly thread.

steve

Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2002 02:56PM

STEVE

You very well may have the rayon but it is a very fine diameter and cant be tensioned like nylon !

As I said in the above post it handles like gossemer silk which breaks easy the rayon makes a nice flat wrap and is plenty strong for what it needs to do.

"John"

Posted by: Elrod(Jon Jenkins) (65.212.56.---)
Date: February 19, 2002 06:28PM

I only use the metallics in Sulky. Love the small diameter. Doesn't rise above the wrap like HT. Had very good results. The black metallic give a very elegant and subtle shimmer.
Elrod

Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: February 19, 2002 07:45PM

Elrod,
Where do you get your Sulky metallics and other Sulky threads?
Thanks,
Sanford

Posted by: Jim Levy (66.152.208.---)
Date: February 20, 2002 09:30AM

Make sure you use a good saturating coat of CP with the Sulky rayons and nylons. I have found that they seem to absorb a little differently depending upon the tension that they are wrapped under and I have had uneven CP penetration that yeilded poor results with spots of bleed through. Good saturation of the CP has produced much better results.

I have always had good results with the metallics. The foil does not tend to break or stretch over the core so it lays down with a nice even color and texture. Some very nice colors available at the local sewing shops.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster