I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How do y'all take pics of your buttwraps?
Posted by: Kyle Ligon (---.austin.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 01:00PM

I've had some success butt not great.I have a Canon Powershot A20 digital camera.I haven't sprung for the macro lens yet and was wondering if it is possible without it?The camera is 2.1 megapixels so it should be capable of taking a decent pic.What is the best way to do the lighting?I was thinking about buying a couple of 4' shoplights and put them above and on either side of the rod,running parallel to the rod,I'd take the pic from between the lights,is there a better way?This is my first nondisposable camera in 30 years so I'm fairly camera illiterate but this camera is very easy to use and I feel somewhat confident when using it.Thanks for your help...........Kyle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do y'all take pics of your buttwraps?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 18, 2002 01:43PM

There was an article on this subject in RodMaker just a little over a year ago. Rods are hard animals to take photos of, both because of their shape and the close-ups required if you are to catch any detail.

At 2.1 megapixels, you could only take a photo that is roughly 1/4 the resolution of the worst film cameras. But, it will still be decent for prints and very much okay for publishing on the web where nearly anything goes and everything looks pretty good.

The key for you will be good depth of field and good focus. Get whatever lens you need to be able to focus at distances of only a couple feet or even closer. All the photos in RodMaker are taken with the help of set of simple close-up lenses that can be stacked to get the distance needed. Aperature setting is usually no less than 8, and usually 16 or 22. This is what determines how much of your field of view will be in focus. The higher the number, the greater the depth of field, but the longer the exposure time will need to be. Thus, a tripod may be in order to steady the camera for any times of more than about 1/60th second.

Your camera will like work like most, film or digital, but you will want some manual control of aperature setting (aperature priority vs exposure priority) to get the best results. You will certainly want to become familar with your camera's specific abilities and controls. I would assume the owner's manual might have some of this within.

There is so much more, but the article can tell it better than I can in a message board post. Go back and read it in the September/October 2000 issue of RodMaker.

Posted by: William Vivona (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: February 18, 2002 06:11PM

I take a lot of pictures of my rods with 2 digi cameras: a Nikon 990 Cooplix, and a Fuji Finepix 4700. Both take hi-resolution photos, 3.1 - 3.4 megapixels, and both have a macro feature which I sometimes, but not always use.

Lighting is very important - shop lights are great, as is sunlight. Once you figure out the lighting, do this - take one phot at as close a distance to teh wrap as possible, where teh camera will focus on its own. I can get about 3-4 inches from the rod. Then move 6 inches, then 12 inches.

Now you have 3 pictures - the close one will probably not have good lighting. The second and third pictures, will have good lighting, but the detail will probably not be there. At 3.1+ mega pixels, I take these photos and crop them and zoom in until I have what I want. The higher the megapixels, the better the zoom.
Since the pictures are free, keep on till you fins amethod that works,

Date: February 18, 2002 06:33PM

Multiple photos are a great idea - never expect to get exactly what you want with any one photo. For every cover shot on RodMaker, there were 5 or 6 more than ended up in the trash. Always shoot a couple different exposure times.

By the way and just for reference, the worst film cameras typically shoot what would be considered a 6 or 7 megapixel image. Better film and lenses will push that number even higher. This is why they are referred to as "continuous tone images". Just a bit of trivia.

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 10:39PM

Due to having the reflection from a finished wrap, I like to take shots before I put my epoxy finish on the wrap. Color preserver coated seems fine, but if you photo it before you coat with finish you can eliminate the harsh glare you'll get otherwise.

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 18, 2002 11:50PM

If you are just keeping a record for youself, pictures before the epoxy are fine. If you plan to use them for sales material, I shoot mine when done. I like one long, white, highlight on my finished wraps. A nice straight, unwavey highlight, to show how smooth my epoxy job is. That's just my thoughts.

Bill Doherty

Thanks guys
Posted by: Kyle Ligon (---.austin.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2002 12:52AM

I want these pics for my record and to show prospective clients what I can do,and have done.I also like to show my fishing buddies what's new with Fasttackle.Thanks again................Kyle

Polarizing filter and more
Posted by: Rick Lewis (---.boeing.com)
Date: February 19, 2002 11:27AM

Since most rods have a glossy finish, a polarizing filter is a good idea. Spend a couple of extra bucks and get one that rotates. That way you can adjust for the light and reflections. Since it will slow the speed of the shot, a tripod and slower shutter speeds are a good idea. (It gives you better depth of field through the higher F/stop)

Bracket your shots an F/Stop or two above and below the meter reading and see how that changes the look.

Keep a record of the settings for each frame and use the one that gives the best results for a standard.

Color of background can affect the look also. Look for neutral, low sheen materials. Weathered boards work well.

Don't forget to take your camera fishing with your rods. Photograph them in natural settings, with fish, etc.
Creating a portfolio can be as creative as building a rod.

Re: Polarizing filter and more
Date: February 19, 2002 12:19PM

That's good advice Rick, and we covered that in the article as well.

The one thing you can be sure of, is that to get the exact photo you want, you'll have to take several. Experiment with lighting and F/Stops and backgrounds.

I know very little about photography but through some trial and error manange to get some decent shots for RodMaker. I know if I can do it - anyone can.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster