I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Making your mark
Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Date: February 17, 2002 09:54PM

Hey guys, I was lucky to get a chance to go to the flyfishing show in Charlotte, NC this weekend. I've been trying to figure out how I want to "mark" any rods that I may build. I've seen inscriptions that look pretty nice to decales with with plenty of info. to decales with just initials of the maker. If you don't mind, would you fellows give a little about what influnced you to go with your paticular "mark"?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Making your mark
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.164.mhub.grid.net)
Date: February 17, 2002 09:57PM

I have just about decided to eliminate my logo and just put my initials on the rods. Kinda the 'less is more' thinking I guess.

Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.tisd.net)
Date: February 17, 2002 10:46PM

Sammy, I write directly on the blank using Windsor and Newton ink and apply it with a steel nib pen. I like to "hand write" on the blank as I feel it gives a more custom flare. Although decals are impressive and I have seen many that look great, I personally like the hand writing. My handwriting is not the best but taking time and going slow seems to work just fine. I compare signing the blank to signing a fine piece of Art, I haven't seen to many handpainted pictures/portraits with a decal of the artists' name, at least none that I have seen. Just my opinion.

Pat's Custom Rods

Posted by: Elrod(Jon Jenkins) (65.212.56.---)
Date: February 18, 2002 02:30PM

I go with Pat's thoughts. I tossed around the decal thing and even tried making my own with some good results, but I have found that customers kind of like the writing versus the decal. I write the customer name at 0 degrees (on top when holding rod) then rod information at 135 degrees and my company initials and rod # at 225 degrees. (CCR Rod #098, for example). I used to try to write:
Hand Crafted
for
John Doe
by
Elrod
9ft 4wt. #089

But it becomes very "busy" when you start writing all that and on small diameter blanks becomes very difficult. I like "elegant simplicity". So my focus came to only seeing the customer's name when holding the rod. Of course, I do allow the customer to say what they prefer to have on the rod, but try to explain just as I have here.

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (---.rasserver.net)
Date: February 18, 2002 08:49PM

I have come up with a "signature wrap" I'll do the regular butt wrap and then I'll spiral the thread up the blank and finish with a trim wrap. I'm considering the initals and serial # thing also.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster