I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping guides in gold?
Posted by: Don Kelly (---.lebnon01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2002 05:04PM

I just recently stripped off the guides of a rust colored 7 weight with matching hread wraps. However I cant find the rust color thread anywhere. Has anyone ever used gold wraps instead?? I know there usually for trim wraps, but I want to try it as a full guide wrap instead

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread in gold? /rust?
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: February 17, 2002 05:29PM

Don,
Gudebrod thread color #257 is Rust. We have it available, as do most rod suppliers. Not sure if it blends with what your blank color is though?

Funny you should mention gold metallic wraps (although you can also get nylon non-metallic gold thread color #340). Just the other day a young fellow came into the shop and was aching for his new custom rod he wanted from me. Okay, what color wraps??? The insistance is for solid gold metallic, WITH silver trim bands. Maybe not for me, but it will be a flashy "walleye slayer" rod of his dreams. To boot, it will match with the titanium framed and gold ring colored guides, and will have a diamond (yup, gold metallic again with silver) butt wrap multiples on both axis'. Go figure, at least it's something his mother will tell me keeps him out of the bars and after those 10 1/2 lb. walleye monsters he has collected on his wall!

To each his own!

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel
Solyrich Custom Rods

Posted by: Don Kelly (---.cust.oldcity.dca.net)
Date: February 17, 2002 07:44PM

How did the gold and silver wraps look? I would really like to try it on my 7 weight

Posted by: Dan Bryant (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 07:53AM

Metallic gold guide wraps look pretty flashy on a black rod. They definitely stand out. I have used it a few times, with a dark metallic (red or green) underwrap. Matched with a flashy gold reel, it suits a lot of people's eyes. Match it with the bright metallic blue, red, and green threads for trims and for butt wraps, and it looks pretty bright.

Posted by: Peter Bunting (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 09:44AM

Try gudebrod gold and black trimar thread. I just finshed a rod using it and it with gold guides and it looks sharp.

Posted by: Elrod(Jon Jenkins) (65.212.56.---)
Date: February 18, 2002 02:43PM

A beautiful combination also is the pewter metallic wraps with silver inlay or trim bands, goes excellent with SIC gunsmoke and loomis blanks.

Posted by: Tom Smith (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: February 18, 2002 05:09PM

I had been told not to use metalics for overwraps, just underwraps, trim bands. and weaves. I was told it was far weaker than regular thread. Any truth to this?

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 05:18PM

Tom easy way if in doubt about thread strength, do you first overwrap in white A regular thread apply finish allow to dry you want a flat level surface now you can use any metallic thread you desire the guide is held in place by the A white thread which will virtually disapear after the finish is applied note do not use CP on the white thread.
The new metallic thread HT is supposed to be as strong as the regular nylon threads in the same diameters.
John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster