I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question about an old rod,
Posted by: Jeff Brinn (---.twave.net)
Date: February 13, 2002 11:03PM

I have a rod that was my great grandfathers, I believe it is split bamboo but not possitive. The rod is 6 sided, 7' long with a nice even taper all the way to the top, stainless reel seat and ferrel and the hand grips are wood with 1/8" deep criss-cross patters turned in the handle and butt. I would like to restrore this rod as close to original as I can so any info would be appreciated, my big questions are what type of guides (and who would have them) and what threads were typical of rods of this type and era?

Jeff Brinn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about an old rod,
Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.3g.quik.com)
Date: February 14, 2002 12:43PM

Jeff,

The description you give hints at either a very nice old bamboo rod, or a cheapy! How certain are you that the ferrules are stainless steel? Chances are good that they are either nickel silver, or chrome plated brass. If they are nickel silver then the rod is probably higher quality. Heddon made some rods with checkered walnut grips like one might find on high-quality gun stocks.

A good place to start is with someone who is knowledgable about bamboo rods. That may or may not be your local flyshop. Give them a call and ask if they can recommend someone who can take a look at the rod and give you an idea about what you have. Or it you can email decent close-up photo's, drop me a note.

If there is no chance of having someone knowledgable look at the rod, get a copy of Michael Sinclair's "Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook." That's a good basic guide to restoring older bamboo rods.

To answer your questions, most restorations are done with modern guides available from many of the sponsors listed to the left, and silk thread, also available from the sponsors. Russ Gooding at Golden Witch is a great place to start.

Hope this helps,
Harry Boyd

Date: February 14, 2002 06:40PM

I sent you an email with photos. Also I got to taking an look at the rod and notice that the butt pad has Montegue printed on it, not sure if it is original ot not.

Jeff

Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.3g.quik.com)
Date: February 14, 2002 08:09PM

Jeff,

Thanks for the photos. Your second note helps a bunch as well. What you have is a Montague boat rod, probably originally used for saltwater fishing. I wish I could give you some specifics, but really don't know too much more. The rod is not highly collectable, and not worth a great deal of money, but that makes it no less valuable -- because it belonged to great-Grandad.

When we moved out of the flyfishing arena, we got far beyond my area of expertise. I don't know what kind of guides to use, or what color thread. Perhaps one of the other helpful guys on this board can be of more assistance.

Harry

Posted by: Butch North (---.juneau-01-04rs16rt.ak.dial-access.att.net)
Date: February 14, 2002 10:27PM

I agree with Harry. Contack russ at Golden Witch.

Date: February 15, 2002 12:20AM

Thanks for the info guys, I didn't think it was worth a bunch and hadn't even thought about selling it. Just think it will look good on the wall in my fishing room, when I build one that is.

Jeff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster