I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly rods
Posted by: Jim Reed (---.woh.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2002 02:15AM

I need to know everyones opinion on what company, they think, builds the best fly rod blanks today. What series? Who makes the best seats? (no wood inserts) Thanks Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 14, 2002 09:17AM

Jim,

That is a loaded question with almost no good answer. The term "best" needs to be defined a bit more. After all, what is best for my tastes, casting and fishing style will not be best for someone else's taste, casting and fishing style.

Example - I have always been impressed by the quality of the Graphite USA blanks. Beautifully straight and finely finished. But I hate their fly rod blanks. They're top quality, but they don't suit my useage. Other guys rave about them. I know several who are using these to build their name brand rods on. They will tell you that these are the best blanks on the planet. For them they might be, for me, and maybe for you, they aren't.

I have always leaned toward the Loomis GL3 fly blanks and in the past few years have really started to like the St.Croix SCIV series. They suit me. I built a rod on a Lamiglas Perigee last year and was impressed with it too. I think this is a question with no good answer. Among all these brands quality is similar but the designs are different and again, what is best for me may not be best for you. If you choose a blank soley by price, prestige, image or other's impressions, you will be sorely disappointed.

I greatly prefer Fuji reel seats but I always cut mine and install some type of insert, be it cork, wood, phenolic, etc.

Posted by: Scott Kolts (---.teledynemetalworking.com)
Date: February 14, 2002 09:25AM

I've only used a few brands, but I really like St. Croix and Sage. There are many good brands out there and a sign of a good blank isn't always the price tag. Brands on my to-do list are Lamiglas (Perigee), Gatti, GLoomis, Graphite USA, and Rainshadow. It'll take me years to get through this list.

At the conclave in January, someone asked Gary Loomis who he thought made the "second best" blanks or rods. Gary said that he thought St. Croix made very nice blanks and that they were very innovative. I guess it's obvious who he thinks makes the BEST blanks.

Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2002 02:27PM

I have to strongly agree with Tom.

Your question really does not have a proper answer.
Most of the blanks availble out there are ok !

Some blanks do things better than others and not nessesarily all the blanks from a given company will do things well.

Im no expert caster but many of the blanks I really like were rolled in small shops as opposed to a major mfgs.

If you ask for reccomondations for a fly rod blank for early spring nymph and streamer fishing you may get several different answers!

ask about a short blank for dry fly fishing on spring creek may get several different answers again.

Happy wraps "John"

Posted by: Solana Rosa (---.salta.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: February 14, 2002 05:54PM

1) Powell LGA / AXS series.-
2) Sage XP
3) SC4 Great Value !

Seats:
Rec. !

Posted by: Jim Reed (---.woh.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2002 12:47AM

Anyone ever tried the Shikari blanks in the SHX series? Do you like REC better than Struble?

Posted by: Don Kelly (---.lebnon01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2002 09:38PM

Go with a St. Croix. If you want to save a bit of money though Rainshadow has really nice low cost blanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster