I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrap Music.....
Posted by: Blaine Lusk (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 13, 2002 12:23AM

It was a post/counter-post discussion,sometime back....and it was a worthwhile point, because I recall the heavy hitters were well represented, but i think it was Tom who( in his diplomatic,velvet-handed way) firmly suggested to "Scrape instead of Sand" a blank so as to be minimaly intrusive to the graphite.Well, having sanded more blanks that I would like to recall (pre-internet mind you), I was milling around in the fishin room the other night, too lazy to start a massive overhaul but just enjoying the sanctuary when I started scraping a future project...........I 'm sure it was a Zen moment.....To me anyway, the other members of the household thought I was just trying to ruin a good Seinfeld re-run for them....and I was asked to stop. It sounded like an Amtrak derailment on a ten minute loop, but.....It worked....Simple stupid.... it worked.

Well, tonight the other members all left to get a Seinfeld autograph or see a movie or something....and I stripped and scraped four rods, and wrote down appointments for the rest......These blanks have been with me through the years like good huntin dogs.They've seen the glory and the gore...and I don't give em up easily.

Thanks to the moderator and all the other "Memsahibs" who chime in with such invaluable resource.....

BSL

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrap Music.....
Posted by: Ron Beagles (---.houston.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2002 09:10AM

I have refinished MANY blanks in my time - I have sanded and scraped both!! It depends on finish and if you are going to refinish the blank.

Sanding doesnt always get to the "bottom" whereas scraping will - but beware a wrong angle and you will lift the material and put a splinter in the blank or worst case remove part of it!! Been there!

Your points are well taken - I left Seinfeld and moved back to Cheers!! George has got old with his ways for now - will go back later! I like Sam Malone - besides I used to go to the real Cheers when I was stationed in Boston in the 70's.

Cheers Mate

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 13, 2002 12:05PM

I would never sand a graphite rod to easy to cut the grahite fibers. I would thoughtly scuff the rod with a schotch Brite scuff pad (gray in (color).
Bob

Posted by: Blaine Lusk (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 13, 2002 07:51PM

Thanks for the reply Ron, I did lift some material, but it was very slight and under the proposed reel seat so I don't think I did any harm.Some of these blanks started their lives as "off the shelf, All stars" and some are old fenwick HMG series.A few are on their third refinish and all have been sanded by me at least once...I've never had one fail.....My point and elation was with the control of scraping and the "Why did'nt I try this before" revelation. Now, to varnish or not to varnish...Hmmm got any thoughts on this? I like a bare graphite finish with nice plain wraps and just enough flexcoat...because I figure I'll be the one strippin it all off again years from now. I would rather not varnish a rod unless it has some redeeming benefit..again your thoughts would be appreciated.

You're right about Sam, Sam rules

Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster