I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hand Wrapper Recommendations
Posted by: Bobby Johnson (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: June 30, 2004 10:15PM

Howdy. This is my first post. First let me get the brown nose part out of the way. This is a great forum with an amazing wealth of information. I've learn quite a bit just hanging around and reading.

I'm new (never wrapped a rod-ever) to rod wrapping and I'm getting a little disappointed at the quality and feel of the rods I have bought off the shelf. I've determined that the only way to alleviate this is to start building my own rods. My primary interest is bass and crappie fishing and it’s my intent to build rods 10 feet and less. With that said, I am asking for advice on selecting a hand wrapper (not interested in building one) that will comfortably handle these type rods.

Thanks to all,
Bobby

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hand Wrapper Recommendations
Posted by: Mike Williams (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 30, 2004 10:51PM

You can pretty much make your own but if you want to buy one then I'd look at the flex coat wrappers. They're not much money and work well enough. They come with tensioners for your thread spools.

Use the flex coat link to the left to visit their site and see what models they offer.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: June 30, 2004 11:14PM

Bobby,

Handwrappers work just fine, and Mike's recommendation of the FlexCoat wrapper has a lot of merit. If you plan to wrap 10' rods, or even 5-6' ones, you might need a couple of independent rod supports for hand wrappers to work optimally.

Hand wrappers and supports are very,very easy to build.

You are beginning a new adventure that is great fun and which gives the builder great personal satisfaction for the product built, especially when you catch fish on it.

My comments are those of a fairly new builder.

Enjoy the craft!

Stan

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: July 01, 2004 12:48AM

Angler's Workshop has an excellent wrapper, that can also be gotten in a kit with drying motor, all the finish and accessories you'll need for your first couple rods.
Have been using mine for over 10 years. Still looks great and everything still works.

Posted by: Barry d Thomas Sr (---.ocean.eticomm.net)
Date: July 01, 2004 05:28AM

Look on E-baySports/fishing/rod building Area there are a couple there

if the table you work on is to short use the wifes Ironing board as a extention table(they adjust in height)

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 01, 2004 08:23AM

I bought Flex Coat's cheapest hand wrapper, and it was ok, but just upgraded and bought their next up (about $61), am glad I did, and recommend it highly to you. The sliding thread holder makes it much easier to use than the cheaper one, among other good features. It comes with an extra rod support, and you can easily make any others you need by cutting vees in cardboard boxes.

Posted by: Dale Reamy (---.NIPR.MIL)
Date: July 01, 2004 11:42AM

Bobby, I highly recommend the Flex Coat HW1 Hand Wrapper ($60 - $75). Shop around through the sponsors list. Also well worth the money is a QUALITY Finishing Motor. The homemade versions probably work great, but infringe on my comfort level. Too much work invested to have a motor quit during drying. Flex Coat has a 6 rpm motor (GM6) and an 18 rpm motor (GM18), about $70 ea. I've got the 6 rpm motor which has proven perfect for drying, but a little slow for applying finish. My theory is that a faster motor will increase centrifugal force, and therefore the probability that epoxy will want to flow from the wraps onto the guide leg. My wish list includes a drying motor that adjusts from 18 rpm for finishing to 6 rpm for drying (FLEX COAT - "BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME")

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: July 01, 2004 12:07PM

Dale; you can gear any motor to go faster and slower, one moter two speeds

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.att.net)
Date: July 01, 2004 03:32PM

I recomend the Flex-Coat 'SW-1' hand wrapper, the one with the wheels instead of the V cuts in the posts. Ralph

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster