I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Taking a poll....blank finishes and colors!!
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.z065105148.sat-tx.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: June 23, 2004 05:49PM

Hey folks,
Recently I have been wrapping a lot of rods (for a change!), and have been experiminting with different blank/thread combos. Just out of curiosity, I would like to know what types of finishes and which color you guys prefer on your blanks. Also if you have any ideas for thread/blank color combos that look good, I'd be interested to hear those as well.

So, what is your preference for finish on your blank? Matte or Gloss Finish?

What color? Clear? Green? Plum? Blue?

Thanks!

Andy Dear
Lamar Reel Seats

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Taking a poll....blank finishes and colors!!
Posted by: Bill Falconer (12.180.32.---)
Date: June 23, 2004 06:15PM

Hey Andy-

Since you asked I'll give you my opinion. I have some blanks that have over time become my favorites for specific applications. I tend to order these blanks in advance and keep a few of them on hand. Since I started doing this, I have found myself preferring a matte graphite finish more and more because of it's versatility. The matte graphite tends to keep your options open in terms of thread colors and tends to be compatible with just about any color guides, reel seats, reel seat inserts, and handles (EVA as well as cork). The matte finishes - in my experience at least - also tend to really hold up well over time in terms of durability.

When I do go with a color (usually on fly rods), I prefer green and blue. Not sure why but that's what makes me happy. I hope this is what you are looking for.

Tight lines,
Bill

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.nwconx.net)
Date: June 23, 2004 06:22PM

Andy,
I like gloss black blanks. Just about any thread or handle makes these finish up nicely. Recently I used a gloss black composite blank using the holographic guides and for the winding was metallic red stranded side by side with rainbow for a 'stand out' effect.

I'm also partial to the satin black finish that St. Croix has on their SCII blanks and now the S-Glass. I like charcoal or black thread on these with metallic trim band to complement the guide ring or frame color. Garnet wrap and gold trim also are a classic look. Purple and TiCh/silver was a nice combination on a spin rod.
The matte blue blanks I've liked using different thread combinations such as the classic twist thread and the blue ring guides. A technique on a current musky rod project has classic twist with royal metallic blue thread together that complement nicely the blue ring guides for the blue blank.
The matte green SCV blanks which are among my favorite to finish with silk thread and various guides, esepcially the tigold or tich ring guides on spin and casting blanks. Dark Green gloss blanks are also nice in fly blanks that I like to use a simple metallic titanium or pewter trim bands with dark green thread.

Rich Garbowski

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 23, 2004 06:45PM

Purple gloss blanks would be great.
Lance

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.los-angeles-56-58rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: June 23, 2004 06:53PM

i think the rainshadow gloss green blanks look very nice done in candy apple red without color preserver. the clear red over green
creates the look of liquid amethyst. i use silver metalic two or three thread inlays in the "amethyst" wrap. i also like the tiger eye blanks done in medium brown with no cp. i use silver inlays and this looks very rich..i am currently wrapping a tiger eye for a friend with garnet wraps with copper metalic inlays. looks very nice.

Posted by: Ron Amos (---.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 23, 2004 07:04PM

I like royal blue with small yellow trim bands on matt graphite blanks.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: June 23, 2004 07:17PM

Matte grey or black. I love the St. Croix SCV blanks for their performance, but the green/teal color really limits my thread choices.

Posted by: Kevin Malpass (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 23, 2004 07:23PM

First place, black. Second place, white. Third place, grey.

Posted by: Rob Blomquist (146.129.26.---)
Date: June 23, 2004 07:34PM

I know, I am a pretty weird fly fisher, but I love color in my rods.

I really like a gloss black blank, but I would love to see some purple blanks. I know that if I could get a really nice blank in purple, and wrap it up with lavender thread, it would be sold in a heartbeat to a female co-worker that fly fishes.

I am also currrently (that is, when I can get to it) some Lami yellow fiberglass blanks. Yellow does limit the colors, but well done, it could be a nice rod!.

My favorite wraps are a purple/red nylon wrap with CP. I also like red on the Rainshadow green without CP. And I like metallics. I have a fly rod just wrapped with metallic light blue that I adore, and I get more comments on how bright it is, mostly jesting, I suspect, but I like my colors hot!

I also like nylon with a metallic trim band of the same color. I have seen this in green and red. I have a rod that is going to get it in red when I can get to it.

Rob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 23, 2004 07:36PM

I do not like MAtte one bit. I am not a fan of Black, although most of my rods are this color.

GUSA has some fantastic colors, Purple, Cobalt Blue, Emerald GReen, and some I have not seen but I hear are beautiful - Ox Blood REd, and CHerry red.

I also love Lamiglas CErtified Pro, as well as their old IM700 blanks, which were chestnut brown, and root beer brown. I would guess similar to teh TIger Eye blanks from the descriptions I've heard.

Plum All Star IGSP's were also sweet.

I do not like, at all , Honey or Caramel Lami blanks (E & S glass)

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (204.73.103.---)
Date: June 23, 2004 07:54PM

Natural graphite with a clear gloss finish. Just about all thread combinations look. I used to like the old Orvis and Scott blanks that were unsanded.

Posted by: John DeWitt (---.insight.rr.com)
Date: June 23, 2004 08:00PM

Andy,

I like matte grey with dark blue, red, green or black thread wraps. I haven't really come across too many colors that don't look nice on the matte blank.

John

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: June 23, 2004 08:10PM

Gloss black

Posted by: Steve Daley (---.frsrc101.mi.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2004 08:11PM

i like matte black with rust and gold or garnet and gold wraps.

I also like green with either candy apple red, or green wraps that kinda disappear into the finish of the blank (like a rainshadow or a rainforest color green blank, as the SCIVs kinda have a weird green that does somewhat limit thread choice).

steve

Posted by: William S. Tanner (---.pfn.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 23, 2004 08:23PM

Gee, guys & gals, what happened to good old white? When a mate claims he cleaned your rod, and it shows guts or scales, you know he is lying! I would pay $5.00 more for a white blank than for a black blank. We all know that any color, other than natural, is paint, so, is white more expensive than black? If one of the blank mfger's would paint his blanks white, I would find a way to use his blank instead of a black one! Bill T.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.79.57.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 23, 2004 08:41PM

I don't like matte at all, even though I love SCII blanks. I like black because of the versatility in thread, but I'm also addicted to the tiger eye style of colors. Cobalt blue, emerald green and cherry red are my favorites. Nothing prettier in the sun. A colorless transparent rod would be really neat.

I don't really have a favorite for wrap color. If left on my own I like to use at least two colors in overwraps with metallic inlays and/or prizm bands. With a colored blank, I usually like to use that color as the primary thread but sometimes going with a weird color comes out pretty cool.

Posted by: Dave Leonard (---.accel.atl.earthlink.net)
Date: June 23, 2004 08:41PM

I prefer the matte finishes - blue (IM10) and dark gray/black. The drawbacks I see are that you have to use pencil vs china marker and the matte tends to show up finish errors - not exactly straight edges, the stray pinhead sized drip, and I've had some problems with wheel tracks from the dryer stand...Colors I've tried and liked include (wrap/trim band) black/gold (Purdue colors), burgundy/gunmetal or silver, teal/yellow, royal blue/opal, gray/burgundy, and candy apple red/gold.
==dave==

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 23, 2004 08:42PM

Matte graphite - less scratches in heavy use on charters. Thread color compatability with nearly everything - takes a toll on yellow and orange and light green thread - easier finish to get a sharp edge on finish at guides - builds a "stealth" rod for the bassers - easiest to get to water break condition for good joints. Allstar - Rainshadow - "Falcon" most sturdy finish -

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Ladd Flock (---.chvlva.adelp)
Date: June 23, 2004 09:35PM

Love the mix of art & science in rod building...

I like gloss as I like to keep a good coat of wax on my rods.

In my opinion, dark green (IM700 fly) and dark burgundy (XMG50 fly) colors look classy. And, the subtle sparkle flake of the Lamiglas Perigee and Sage SLT look fantastic in the sun - wish more rods came with this feature, as they can still be quite stealthy with toned down hardware.

I often hit the wine and beer aisles to get inspiration on thread colors as the bottles are glossy and the labels show many, many color combinations.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: June 23, 2004 09:59PM

1st Matte graphite, 2nd gloss graphite. I don't like colored blanks.

Putter

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster