I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Birchwood True Oil
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 23, 2004 01:52PM

I started using this stuff about 18 months ago, after reading Jesse's post, to improve the appearance of cork handles. I really like the appearance after two or three applications. Problem - polymerization to to contact with air in bottle. I previously lost most of the stuff in the bottle due to leaving the thing open and exposed to air which caused the stuff in the bottle to set up.

Try this and see if it works for you. Open the top cap and do not remove the foil seal that is installed on the new bottle top. Tilt the bottle so that the fluid is covering the foil tab. Take a toothpick and punch a small hole in the foil, in a corner, on the front of the bottle lable side. The fluid will not pour out but can be shaken out in drops directly to the cork handle. You can quickly get enough of the material on the cork without completely removing the foil seal. I am tilting the bottle when I remove the bottle cap to insure that a minumim amount of air gets in the bottle. If you look closely the hole you punched will skim over with True Oil and may have to be cleared for the next use. I am getting many more rods done this way without the stuff getting hard in the bottle. I pay $ 6.95 for a small bottle of the stuff and wish it came in a capsule form about the size of a dog worm pill.

Gon Fishn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Birchwood True Oil
Posted by: Mike Barkley (136.181.195.---)
Date: June 23, 2004 02:00PM

Thanks Bill,

Good tip! I love the stuff! It works wonders on Burl (which I mostly use, since quality of reg cork whent down the tubes). Really brings out the grain!!

Mike

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: June 23, 2004 03:05PM

Bill,

Great tip! Have also found if you store the bottle up side down it prevents the drying that occurs in and around the lip.

Doug

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: June 24, 2004 05:26AM

For some reason,the only package that Tru Oil is available in in my area(southern BC,Canada) is in a spray can.

I haven't had any problems with it drying at the tip at all and air can't get in to dry it up.It certainly makes it easy to cover everything in a heavy coat quickly,but the level of wasted oil I'm sure is high.

I've used it on several burl cork grips lately and it looks GREAT.It REALLY brings out the grain,but doesn't quite have the kind of sheen I prefer.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: June 24, 2004 10:16AM

Tony,

It will really shine if you apply thin multiple coats while lightly sanding between them. Once you've applied the last coat, buff out with a soft cloth to polish. You can even apply gun stock wax to protect and give it more of a shine.

Regards,
Doug

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: June 25, 2004 05:55AM

Thanks Doug,I've actually been doing that and finished my 4th or 5th coat today.I've been spraying on pretty heavy coats(heavy enough that it was VERY shiny) every couple of days and buffing with steel wool in between coats.I really noticed a difference today now that the coats have built up.After buffing it with steel wool one more time I sprayed on a thin,smooth final coat to the grip,sprayed some more oil on a clean cloth,and buffed at high speed on my drill/lathe.

It looks GREAT with a wonderful lustre to it now(almost looks like a beautiful piece of wood).It sure puts all my regular cork handles to shame(with the diminishing quality,even in flor,I don't know why I even bother with regular cork these days).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster