I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod repair interest
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: February 06, 2002 06:20PM

Lately there seems to be discussion about getting into rod repair, and I've got even a few personal emails about this. Probably the new tackleworks.org site will generate the interest further among established rod repair/custom rod shops or custom rod builders.
Being in the business and with local interest, I'll say that YES that anglers will be glad to hear of the services extended by these rod shops. YES, I believe tackleworks.org will be a super medium for bringing awareness that you are listed for a geographical area and available to do the work. YES, I believe it will bring work as the site has assurances by Tom that it will be Effectively marketed. That is the KEY. It will Be EFFECTIVELY marketed on a wide scale to benefit those listed.

Should everyone that is remotely interested in setting up shop? In all honesty, I would like to say Yes, but realistically, from some of what I hear and know, is from those with no experience or shop set up it may be more to consider and I would say better not.

For those who are definitely in the business of custom rod work and confident with the proficiency to perform the skills of rod repair I just can't see how you can more effectively use advertising dollars than what will be offered collectively with tackleworks. The key element of success for this program is that enough repair/rodbuilder guys (probably already estabilished , but not advertising or getting much work) get listed by state or province to generate interest from those seeking the services.
If a prospective customer wants the service, they will look for it nearby to where they may wish to drop off the rods, and if you are there... I believe it's that simple and will take off from there as the mainstay of a 'where to' listing.

From experience, also to you guys hedging away from rod repair and aching for more custom rod sales, Rod repair is the BEST way to get to know customers that could be interested in your custom rods. The contact is the difference, and you have the opportunity to show what you do, and even simple repairs can generate interest towards your crafted custom rod. I have experienced this first hand, as wel as hearing it over and over. Do good work, and use quality methods and materials, and you'll be rewarded.

For the novices, newbies, beginners, or 'just thinking' about doing rod repair 'on the side', my advice is to consider carefully what you may be up against. The work can be seasonally demanding, and interfere with your present job, you may put in much longer hours with repetative tasks than you might have imagined, and the pay may not be anywhere as lucrative as a present good paying regular salaried job. If you are retired, you might not get to go fishing as much. If you are young 'looking' to fill in time with a routine, this may not be for you either. (There is little routine in dealing with customers). Remember also, those asking and paying for your service will assume you have the required SKIILLS to perform. Wreck someone's best rod (whether expensive to them or not), and you'll have their wrath. Do good work, and they'll return or tell others.

I don't mean really to be pushing tacklworks per se, but the topic of rod repair has lately spurred enough interest for me to make this post. Good Luck.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod repair interest
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 06, 2002 08:04PM

There is one thing that has to be said and it regards the committment necessary if you want to get into the rod repair business. You can't advertise this service and then only do it when you feel like it. Once people start to rely on you for the service they will expect a decent turn around time and year around service. If you don't do this or only perform the work at your leisure you won't be in the repair business long.

Much more so that the custom rod business, you have to be readily available to the public if you really want a good repair business.

Posted by: Andy Snedden (---.bctel.ca)
Date: February 06, 2002 09:04PM

William makes an excellent point. Whereas the person who is willing to splash out for a high-end custom rod may be willing to wait, the guy who wants a guide replaced may think that you can do so while he waits in the shop. very rapid turn-around time can be a real make-or-break aspect of the repair business that many custom builders are not used to.

Andy Snedden

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 06, 2002 10:55PM

When I frirst started out in the fishing business. It was all reel repair. then it slowly gravitated to some rod repair. The experiernce I learned from rod repair I belive made me a better custom rod builder. After awhile you learn some of the shabby tricks that some people do when they build cheap rods and what it takes to correct the problems
Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster