I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Book
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.121.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: May 25, 2004 09:18AM

Work on a new rod building book is underway. This will be a different sort of rod building book, however, and will not contain any how-to information on rod building. Rather, it will be more like the beautiful books celebrating the craftsmen of the art similar to what the knife makers, gun makers, decoy carvers, ect., have for their own crafts. In addition to bringing some noteriety for a handful of the world's best rod builders, it is hoped that it will also bring some measure of credibility and notoriety for custom rod building in general. These things generally have a way of trickling down to everyone involved.

I've long disliked the fact that custom rod building is not held in very high esteem by the majority of the world's sportsmen. The image of a custom rod builder by most fishermen is of a hack who is trying to save some money by slapping some pieces together in his garage. That image needs to be changed and highlighting the work of some truly excellent craftsmen is a step in the right direction.

The book should be out by late winter. There will be more information on the content and price in an upcoming issue of RodMaker.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Book
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2004 09:27AM

Tom,
That is really a great idea. In my judgement there are a number of people building rods that are more than craftsmen, they are artists and they deserve recognition.
I assume that the book will have a host of photographs?

Date: May 25, 2004 09:29AM

Yes, it will be quite elegant and tasteful. Hard (leather) bound. It's an expensive project which no publisher will touch, thus I am fronting the money for it. I seriously doubt it will ever recover the initial investment, but it could have long lasting effects for the craft.

Date: May 25, 2004 10:01AM

Stan reminded me that what we want is "notice" and not exactly "notoriety." He's correct. Although as one former associate of mine once said, "Any talk is good talk as long as they're talking about you." We need more general interest sportsmen talking about custom rod building.

Posted by: Allen Madsen (---.1.15.66.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: May 25, 2004 10:09AM

You can put me down for one

Posted by: Nicholas Austin (---.tnt24.hou3.da.uu.net)
Date: May 25, 2004 10:19AM

Sounds like it will become a collector’s item and a possible yearly edition series. Hopefully before it goes to the cutting room I'll have some pictures up in the photos section for consideration. Will there be room for the beginners with new ideas or will it be the pro old timers need only apply? No offence to the old timers, with out them there would be no new sprouts taking interest or give them motivation to increase their skills. Will there be room for the newbie who has obvious artistic skill or do you have to be known to make it in?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.88.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: May 25, 2004 11:13AM

The builders profiled and the work displayed needs to be the very best available today. The general interest sportsman will not be impressed by anything less than the top of line work, so that's what the book will contain. How long someone has been building will have nothing to do with anything. Quality and craftsmanship will be the consideration.

There is only room for about 25 rod builders and most are already on the list I have prepared. I'm well aware that many good builders can't get in, but someone else will have to do a book to include them. I can only do so much. Sorry.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (69.26.69.---)
Date: May 25, 2004 11:35AM

Tom,
Such a book I think would be timeless and en eye opener for many sportsmen and anglers. It also would be an inspiration to custom rod builders as well as an affirmation of the great crafter's work. I think the book can be something very worthwhile to commemorate the craft which is overall a benefit and interest for appreciation. Very interesting.

Rich Garbowski

Posted by: Ann Thomas (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: May 25, 2004 12:04PM

I am new to the forum. I have been enjoying reading and LEARNING from everyone here. I have built one fly rod (for my son's 18th birthday) and am just now starting on my second. I was able to take a class for my first rod. I remember when the instructor said that rod building was a craft!...I thought to my self...It's an art!
For some reason most people have problems with the word craft. But a wood worker is called a craftsmen and I hold them up high in the world of creating something beautiful! But...if I make a photo book with 'scrap booking'...that also is a craft.
I like to think of....what I am doing, is a Craft...but what I create is a work of Art. (well...in my eyes, what I created is a work of art)
Tom, your book sounds wonderful! It will profile many Craftsmen and will have pictures of the works of Art they have created!
Thanks again for this Great Forum!

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: May 25, 2004 12:41PM

Good luck on the venture.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: May 25, 2004 12:55PM

My interest in rodbuilding arose from the desire to save money and build a rod of improved construction and performance. I may be one of those hacks in the basement (not garage) tarnishing our collective reputation LOL. Still, who doesn't enjoy looking at pretty pictures of pretty rods. I check the photo page almost everyday. It should be a great project.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.242.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: May 25, 2004 01:11PM

Steve,

You're not at all tarnishing the reputation of custom rod building and rod builders come in many forms. All are fine. It's just that by and large, rod building is not looked upon by most sportsmen as being the highest form of rod building endeavors. Isn't that a bit odd?

If you were furnishing your house and wanted the very best furniture, price being no object, you might commission pieces from any of number of highly thought of woodworkers. If you wanted the best knife or gun, it's not likely you'd buy a production model. You'd commission a work from one of the masters in those endeavors.

But in fishing, most guys who want the best will buy a Sage, Winson, Scott, Loomis, etc. Sure, a few go the route of buying a custom rod, but percentage wise it's a very, very small number that do. Most wouldn't even consider a custom rod when looking for the "best." Why is that?

I'm convinced it's because the fishing public has not been exposed to the best craftsmen we have to offer. We've not had the avenues to publicize ourselves like the wood turners, furniture makers, gun and knife makers have. And this is one more reason why the best custom gun sells for $35,000 to $60,000 while the best custom rods sell for $1,500. There are plenty of books on the best of those other venues but nothing publicizing the best rods or custom rod makers. It's time we had something comparable. I guess it's one of those scenarios where I can complain about it (always the easiest route) or actually do something to make it happen.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 25, 2004 02:23PM

Tom I want to be one of the first to put my order in for your book. I think of rod building as a learning experience. First what makes a rod do what it does, second the assembly and third the design and function. Also some of us have become wood workers. When you put all this together you well find out you have just becomes a fabricating engineer. Oh yes you have also become a artist by the colors of your wrapping and the weaving patters you have incorporated. Some have commented that they started building their first rod to save money. What a understatement. If anyone wanted to save money they could or should just drive down to Wally World and by their rods from them. The first thing a rod builder sees is how he can improve his blank or up grade his blank and these items are not cheap. For some of us who when we were teenagers and can remember when Rock was not a wrestler but was music. and you got your first car. At first it was cheap transportation then it became a hot rod with a fantastic paint job. Most of this work was done in our parents back yard. Some of these guys and gals became famous at their hobby. As with rod building there are some vary knowledgeable and talented people out there today and yesterday, Who should be recognized for their talent and contributaion to our craft
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: May 25, 2004 03:15PM

Tom, I have a hard time relating to anyone who spends that kind of money on a rod or gun. But that's just me. I guess I look at guns and rods as tools more than heirlooms or works of art. On the other hand, I definitely enjoy looking at the work of people who think differently than me. I assume some of the folks whose work appears on the photo page regularly will be featured in your book. It's hard for me to imagine better expressions of artistry and craftmanship than the work of guys like Ray Jorgensen, Terry Henson, Jim Upton, Eden Bromfield, Mark Janeck, or Mark Crouse to name a few. Unbelievable.

Posted by: Jim Kirby (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: May 26, 2004 12:05AM

After reading down the posts to this thread I can see that there is quite a bit of excitement about this book. Given the small size of the custom rodbuilding community I can also understand your concern about recovering costs from this much-needed project.

For those reasons I would like to offer a suggestion. Why don't you offer an advance subscription for your first edition. That isn't all that uncommon for limited printings of technical books in the field that I used to consider my "real job" (I'm now retired). It would also give you an idea of the real hardcore interest out there and help defray some of your initial outlay.

If you decide to do that sign me up for a copy of the first printing of the first edition........and I want mine signed.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 26, 2004 12:26AM

Count me in!!!! Glad to order in advance

Mike

Posted by: Steve Parks (65.214.202.---)
Date: May 26, 2004 03:45AM

I know I shouldn't say anything but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Anyway, do you think a book about people who make rods will sell to anybody other than those who make rods? From reading Tom's post I see where he's trying to create a better image of the rod building community to the sportsman community. But how many sportsmen will buy a book about people who make custom rods? Personally I have no interest in it but that's just me. Good luck with the new book. I do hope it does well.

Steve

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 26, 2004 08:31AM

I don't make custom knives but I own a book about those who do. Same with decoys. Never made one but own three about peoplel who do carve them.

Posted by: John Tebbetts (---.bct.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 26, 2004 08:54AM

In any field of craftsmanship, authoritative information sources that are beautifully illustrated establish a level of the craft that breaches the gap between those involved in the craft and those interested in other areas related to the craft. A great example is fly tying, especially classic atlantic salmon fly tying. Few sportsmen have the patience, skills, and time to produce top quality ASF's, but there are several immensely successful reference "coffee table" books that are truly stunning works that reflect the state-of-the-art. It's truly time for the work of some of the world's best rodbuilding artisans to be recorded. Congratulations, Tom, and I want at least three copies.
John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.234.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: May 26, 2004 09:12AM

There will only be one edition and one printing. It won't be a series nor something available by subscription. I seriously doubt it will have much market among custom rod builders, although I'm sure a few (like yourselves) will pick up a copy. By and large I expect and hope that the market for this book will be the serious sportsman. The same guy who buys art prints, top end gear, paintings, etc., because he loves the outdoors and the tools used in outdoor endeavors. He's the guy buying the books on decoy making, wildlife prints, knife making and the like and he's the guy willing to spend top dollar on his equipment. We need his kind in the fold.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster