I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

best way to finish burl cork
Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: May 22, 2004 05:18AM

I have a few really nice burl cork grips that I plan on puting on a couple of my next fly rod projects and was wondering what guys use to seal and really bring out the grain of this cork?

It is natural brown/dark grey color,nicely burled and fairly dark,so I would like to lighten it up as much as possible and really bring out the grain of the cork so it has both light and dark highlights(if that makes any sense,LOL).I would also prefer a slight sheen to it,maybe even a glossy finish(I would have to experiment a bit on a few grips or rings to see which I prefer I guess).

I haven't used burl cork before and have seen a fair bit of variation in other people's grips.Some look sealed with a glossy finish and some look like they haven't been sealed or treated at all.Some look quite dark when not treated,while some I've seen look considerably lighter overall with both light and dark highlights.

Just wondering what options I have to finish them if I want to lighten them up a bit and bring out the grain more?

What kind of finishes are usable and what could I expect from them?

I know Cork Seal is an obvious one but are there other options like different oils or finishes made for wood that would work well?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: best way to finish burl cork
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.131.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: May 22, 2004 08:03AM

BirchWood-Casey Tru-Oil would be my suggestion. No, it won't lighten the color any, in fact it will darken it to some extent. But it will bring out the contrast and the color. I'd use just one or two coats. This won't really change the feel of the surface much if at all, but will really bring out the contrast and figure.

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 22, 2004 12:32PM

Tony,

Something else that I like to do sometimes instead of coating burl cork is when you have the grip sanded to your satisfation is to leave it on your lathe and buff with a well worn strip of denim cloth. Use a piece of cloth off of a pair of really worn pair of jeans that have been washed many many times. to the point of being almost white. This will also bring out the contrast in the burl and give it a nice satin feel.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: Aaron Hansen (65.88.51.---)
Date: May 22, 2004 01:02PM

What I do is sand the grip all the way to 600 grit sand paper then take a rag that I have soaked in denatured alcohol and wash the grip while it's turning. Then I use 2 coats of cork seal and buff the cork on my lathe at about 1200 RPM. You need to build up some heat in this step. It really brings out the grain and makes the cork shine without ever feeling slick when my hands are covered with fish slime.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 22, 2004 04:31PM

After the cork has been sanded and shaped I then buff the burl with a nylon sock. I use my wifes nylons.
I like a petenia look so I also add a little carbunia wax to the cork and buff it hard.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: May 23, 2004 04:43AM

Great suggestions so far.I have several grips so I can try a few different techniques.

I was planning on trying the Tru Oil anyways as I thought I had read of others trying it before and being happy with the results.I'm not sure where I would purchase it in my area though.I live in a rather small town with few specialty stores.There is no hunting gear here and only a flyfishing shop,so other than places like Wallmart,I don't really know where to look for it.

Anybody has any suggestions on where to look(I'm in BC,Canada) for Tru Oil?

Also,has anyone used anything like Thompson's Water Seal on burl cork?If so,what was the result?

Thanks all.

Tru-Oil
Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.bayou.com)
Date: May 23, 2004 11:43AM

Tony,

If you have a Walmart handy, you're in luck. Most Walmarts carry Tru-Oil in the sporting goods section. It's a gun-stock finish, so look around for the gun care products. My latest bottle of Tru-Oil came in a brown plastic bottle with a mostly white label.

Harry Boyd

Date: May 24, 2004 04:33AM

Thanks Harry,I'll have to check it out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster