I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alcohol?
Posted by: Shayne Petersen (---.dial.telus.net)
Date: February 01, 2002 05:15PM

Can someone please help me out on the different kinds of alcohol?
When I go to the hardware store I get different answers for different people. So what is the same and which ones are different? Is rubbing alcohol=isopropyl or is it methal hydrate. What is denatured alcohol is it pure alcohol like from the drug store? And wood alcohol? All I know is the kind you drink...

Thanks
Shayne

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alcohol?
Posted by: John Kreeger (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: February 01, 2002 05:46PM

Shane,

Rubbing alcohol is isopropyl alcohol and percentages you can buy at your local store vary from about 70-92%

Denatured alcohol is actually a mixture of alcohols. It can contain several kinds and often contains a high percentage methanol, some ethanol, isopropanol and others.

Chemists would laugh at the term "methyl hydrate" in that it is sort of a colloquialism. It is the same as methanol. Methanol is what some folks refer to as wood alcohol.

The only thing that you can safely (sort of) ingest is ethanol. Reagent ethanol is usually denatured with something like methanol or high test combustable fuels to make it unfit for consumption. That way there is no liquor tax.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: February 01, 2002 05:46PM

Flex Coat Brush Cleaner works pretty good too. Have no idea what's in it though.....

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: February 02, 2002 06:56PM

thanks John,
just to add. 95% ethanol, or ethyl alcohol is pretty close to 'absolute' in terms of strength and certain annebriation if injested. I think that it's about equal to 40 proof. don't recommend it for party purposes though, stick with the smirnof if you feel the urge.

Rubbing or isopropyl alcohol (70%) is one commonly used, as is denatured alcohol around the rod shop for cleaning and such. If you can find it, 90% isolpropyl is a decent product for cleaning, but more expensive.
Denature or methanol is very toxic if injested causing liver damage. It is a good product for cleaning brushes, but still failry volatile and with a high flashpoint (although lower than acetone).

Up north methy hydrate is often used as a fuel line antifreeze, what that has to do with rodbuilding, I have no idea....I digress.

Brush cleaners like flex coat or trondak brush cleaners have lower flash points and thus somewhat safer to use (as long as there is no intention of ingestion).

Other alcohols that may be describe are generally in a gaseous phase and not considered in rodbuilding. Well, butanol (butane) might be used in the small torch to remove bubbles from finishes (but don't mention this to Ralph, please?).

Another use is in alcohol bubble busting lamps, usually with denatured alcohol. Handy item in the rod shop to have around, but handle with care.

big sign in the shop.....NO SMOKING!!!

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster