I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with ferrules
Posted by: Tom Juster (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2002 11:54PM

I'm planning on making my one-piece XRA1083 surf rod into a 2-piece rod by making my own ferrule. So I ordered some back-issues of RodMaker magazine, and I've read and re-read Ralph O'Quinn's article on making ferrules (vol 4, #4) about ten times. But I still have some questions!

(1) The article says the two pieces joined by the ferrule "should have about 1/4 inch between them. This space will be reduced to about 1/8 inch later." First, what is the origin of the 1/4 inch gap? Why wouldn't the two pices fit together snugly? Second, how is the gap reduced later--am I supposed to taper the male end that fits into the ferrule? I'm confused.

(2) Since I can't buy a duplicate blank to make ferrules (it's graphite anyway), I'm hoping to buy an el-cheapo fiberglass blank that will have the right taper. So my question is: how 'heavy' a fiberglass blank should I get? Do I want a blank with a similar butt/tip diameter as my rod, or with similar power as my rod?

Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with ferrules
Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 01, 2002 12:35AM

Hi Tom,
Your surf rod you plan on making into a two piece rod are there guides on it already? If so then you can't do what the article says. You will have to take the guides off first so you can slip your ferrule over the blank down to were you will be cutting the blank. If you would like to call me I may be able to help you with your questions. Go to the Sponsor that says Neal's Fishing Tackle which will take you to my webpage and you can get our phone number I live in Az. and we start answering our phones at 9 AM?
Look Forward in helping,
Neal Cissel

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.pstbbs.com)
Date: February 01, 2002 03:47AM

Neal
Obviously you didn't read the article. I went into a very lengthy step by step description of just exactly how to do that very thing when the guides are on the rod --- and you don't have to take the guides off. I suggest that you obtain a copy of the article in question and read it.

Tom -- The answer to your questions are
1. The 1/4 gap is merely the space that you create when making the ferrule. You don't want the pieces touching as this will prevent them from fitting snugly each time they are assembled. Some wear is inevitable and you must leave a tiny space to accomodate the wear. Start out with ABOUT a 1/4", as you progress on fitting the ferrule, this space will reduce itself to about half that, and must remain for the life of the rod. If wear is extreme and the pieces begin to touch, remove about 1/8" from the male section so that there is a gap between them when they fit snugly. There is no need to taper the male end, you will drastically weaken the ferrule joint if you attempt to taper it.

2. You run a great risk in buying a suitable blank for this job. You will need to purchase a fiberglass blank with exactly the same taper as your graphite rod, and for that task you would best contact the manufacturer of your graphite rod and ask his input on what he has that would do the job. People who do ferrules, repairs and such nonsense are avid collecters of junk rods wherein they are able to find just the right piece, in their boxes of junk, for a job like yours. You will need a piece of heavy(thick) wall section, which will come from a fiberglass blank of similar power to your graphite piece. It will not have a similar butt/tip diameter, it will be much heavier in both the butt and tip.
Ralph

Posted by: Tom Juster (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2002 08:11AM

Ralph,
Thanks for the reply.
The second part of your reply really makes me worry. How about this: when shopping for an 'el-cheapo' blank that can be used for a ferrule, I'll take along a micrometer and tape measure and actually measure the taper of fiberglass ferrule candidates until I find one that matches the measured taper of my graphite blank. Do you think this will work? Or, honestly, do you think I'm better off scrapping the whole idea?

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 01, 2002 09:17AM

Ralph,
I just got done reading your article and I am sorry for my mistake.
Neal

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 01, 2002 09:51AM

Tom,

Cheapo dime store blanks/rods may at first seem like good repair or ferrule stock. Sometimes they are, but there are better volunteers.

Years ago I came across a stash of old and damaged surf and saltwater rods. These were comprised of Shakespeare "Howald Process" rods, Garci 5-Star Conolon and a handful of Sear's Ted Williams (Shakespeare and older Daiwa models) rods. The pieces I have obtained from these are usually fairly heavy walled and tough. They have made some great ferrules and plugs. Much better than what I have found in the cheapo $19.95 fiberglass rods of recent history. Check your local yard sales for these type rods. They make great donor stock for what you want to do.

At first it seems odd to use such old fiberglass pieces in a modern day rod of modern day materials, But we have to remember the relationship between diameter and wall thickness in terms of stiffness and strength. Using the same material for plugs, splices sleeves and ferrules, that our rod is made from will result in some very drastic changes in strength and stiffness due to the differences in wall thickness and diameter of our add-on pieces.

By using fiberglass we attempt to keep some continuity of strength and flex in the rod. Careful selection of your donor pieces has a great deal to do with how sucessful your repair or ferrule job will be. I know the articles Ralph wrote for the magazine seem tiring and mundane to many who see little glamor in doing these type things, but there is a wealth of great technical info in there that anyone interested in repair or ferrule making needs to keep on hand.

I wish you success. With some patience and care, you can do exactly what you want to do. But do keep in mind that the process is fairly involved if you expect really good results.

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.pstbbs.com)
Date: February 02, 2002 04:55AM

Tom (Juster that is)
Heed Tom Kirkman's advice. Don't try to match an el cheapo blank by measuring the taper. You cannot possibly come even close to what is needed and it will be a waste of money unless you are very lucky and accidentally purchase the right one. Try canvassing some local tackle shops that build and repair rods, tell them your problem and see if one of them can come up with a piece of scrap that will do the job. The only problem is --- you must cut the blank into two pieces in order to fit the piece you are using for the ferrule. Once you cut the blank you are committed. You will never fit a ferrule until you cut the blank --- talk about catch 22. If you are really serious about the project, cut the blank ---- now you really have an incentive to find a piece for the ferrule. Another word of warning-- if this is your first attempt at making a ferrule, expect to make lots of errors in measurement and judgement. It would be wise to practise on a lesser model just to gain experience and knowledge before tackling your surf rod.
Ralph

Remember....
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.171.mhub.grid.net)
Date: February 02, 2002 01:46PM

......if it doesn't work, you can always drop back and punt with a metal ferrule. All is not lost if your custom ferrule doesn't come out right.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster