I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

LS Supreme v. Flex Coat
Posted by: Brendan Armstrong (63.89.0.---)
Date: April 22, 2004 10:18AM

I'm sure this has been dealt with before, but I'd like to ask. I have tried both wrapping finishes, LS Supreme and Flex Coat high build. LS Supreme dries to a silicone like feel while Flex Coat dries to a harder feel. Do they both serve identical purposes? Any thoughts on preference?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LS Supreme v. Flex Coat
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.194.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: April 22, 2004 10:25AM

The final product is nearly the same, with the exception that the LS Supreme does not yellow to the extent that the Flex Coat will. This is usually only evident on very light colored threads, most noticeably white. Many people feel Flex Coat is easier to use, however.

Supreme uses a different type hardener to get around the yellowing problem. But it does cost considerably more.

Posted by: Darrell Lapointe (---.nb.aliant.net)
Date: April 22, 2004 11:05AM

I've been using Flex Coat and I couldn't ask for anything more. I'm amazed at all the postes about rod finish problems. Flex Coat seems fool proof to me.

Posted by: Ethan Arrington (---.gb-cbi.charterpipeline.net)
Date: April 22, 2004 11:25AM

I used flex coat for years and yes over time I've noticed yellowing.I still use there color preserve as it get good thread penetration.I like "Classic" rod finish, nice high build and stays clear.Not to fawn on LS Supreme.I think the problem with any rod finishes is the persons exerience, this is application wise as they all perform one duty, any mistakes if more than likely your own fault.Now for clearity and high build and longivity, now that comes with the product.Experiences with a product will prove itself out for your own preferences.Thats why I love these forums to share everyones experiences.

Posted by: terry Henson (4.18.32.---)
Date: April 22, 2004 01:46PM

Tom and the others hit the nail on the head, main difference for me is the yellowing and less bubbles with LS

Terry

Posted by: Jay Ravoe (---.bay.webtv.net)
Date: April 22, 2004 09:22PM

Well, I guess you need a black sheep on this thread...and that wouold be me! Quite honestly, I've found LS Supreme to be superior in penetration as well as consistant curing, much easier to mix and get proper results. Flexcoat ain't bad...but the times I've used it, the curing part, well...let's just say I've scraped a rod or two and was faced with redos.

Nothin' but LS for me, been using it for a few years now and am very impressed even through the changes and improvements. I don't use CP, that might be why I like it and it's penetration characteristics.

The above answers surprise me somewhat as I have seen a great many posts about Flexcoat curing problems over the years on several boards, rarely about LS. Perhaps more folks use Flexcoat and that's why, but it really does seem easier to screw it up on the mixing/curing than with LS Supreme. I agree that over time, the hardness is the same with rod building epoxies...they slowly lose their "flex" and become quite hard and un-impressible.

Posted by: Dustin Crawford (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: April 22, 2004 09:57PM

I've been using flexcoat for years and I love it. I would suggest choosing one and giving it a try. A little experimentation and you will find the one that you like the best. Then stick with it.
Dustin

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 22, 2004 10:16PM

When Flex Coat doesn't cure it's the not the finish at fault, it's the finisher. When you see somebody post that it didn't set or cure, then you know they did something wrong. FC didn't get to be the #1 selling thread epoxy by accident. It works perfectly each and every time, if you measure and mix it right.

LS works just as good. The thinner stuff isn't what I need on the larger rods I build but I will be trying the new Hi-build Supreme.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.NIPR.MIL)
Date: April 22, 2004 10:32PM

I've used Flex Coat and LS. I prefer LS Supreme. I don't wrap professionally so it doesn't bother me to put several coats on a larger rod vice trying to do the whole rod in a coat or two. I like the way LS releases bubbles and its very clear. I'm interested in trying some of the new finishes on the market, but that's all I've used so far.

Phil

Posted by: Jay Ravoe (---.bay.webtv.net)
Date: April 23, 2004 03:25AM

Mike, there is NO question about it...it's all the user's fault, everytime...in some way. I wasn't meaning to imply anything other than that, but when I read my post, I can see where it may have sounded like that.

The LS just seems quite a bit more tolerant and, if I may, "idiot proof" for fellas like me. I can measure and mix quite well, but I don't work in a controlled environment (temp, humidity), that may have something to do with the previous problems. LS doesn't seem to mind me or my environs at all, so to speak. Never changed the way I do things, so perhaps mine is an error that doesn't matter with a different product. None of this is indicative of an inferior formula, regardless of what the actual causes for my FC difficulty is.

I WILL give props to the FC folks when it comes to calls and answering Q's about the product...they leave no stone unturned. Great info and help for the asking, another product just fits me better.

Posted by: Gary Niemchick (---.iserv.net)
Date: April 23, 2004 08:19AM

I personally prefer the LS for 2 reasons. The working time seems a
bit longer which allows me to be a bit more deliberate in getting things just so,and the amazing lack of bubbles. Have done test
wraps where the stuff is purposely whipped into a froth, and most
bubbles still disappeared anyway!

Posted by: Dustin Crawford (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: April 23, 2004 04:43PM

Just one more comment if I may. I have personally contacted flexcoat and the while the environmental factors may indeed affect the finish, it would take extreme temperatures or incredibly high humidity. I am not in any way affiliated with flexcoat, I just feel that they get a bit of a bum rap on the board sometimes because people don't know how to mix it correctly. Come on guys just admit it. We have all screwed up our measurements at one time or another and that is our fault not the fault of the product. I went back to flexcoat because I found it easier to use. I use the light build and I have never had any problems that weren't self inflicted.
Dustin

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.57.157.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: April 24, 2004 09:04AM

You're right on target. Flex Coat works perfectly, every time, all the time, provided the person doing the measuring and mixing does so properly.

We've all heard about "contamination" "bad batches" and "old finish" as culprits when things go wrong. But 99.9% of the time problems with finishes are created and caused by the finisher, not the finish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster