I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"new" vs. "old" Loomis GL3 blanks
Posted by: Brent Speier (---.aspensys.com)
Date: January 30, 2002 01:47PM

Dumb question I think... but I will ask anyway so as not to end up wasting money...

I understand that the new G. Loomis GL3 blanks are a mahogony color while the old GL3's were a matte black/grey color.

Other than the color, is there any difference in the blank? Some have said "yes," (probably Loomis salesmen...) some say "no." Can anyone help me out with this?

I am considering purchasing a new mahogony GL3 blank to build a 2 piece 9' 7 wt smallmouth rod. I am leaning toward buying a Rod Kit since this will be my first rod building project. The Rod Kit that I am leaning toward contains a new GL3 mahogony blank.

Thanks for all of your assistance.

-Brent

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "new" vs. "old" Loomis GL3 blanks
Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: January 30, 2002 06:01PM

I think you will learn more and get a better rod if you take Dick French's advise above. I have dealt with several of the suppliers that support this board and find that just calling them and asking them for reccomendations has produced good results and a wealth of extra information to boot. Look at the catalogs first, sorta study the stuff. Be up front about how much you want to spend, and I bet you get a nicely balanced set of components.

Posted by: Larry Puckett (---.s938.apx3.lnhdc.md.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: January 31, 2002 01:09PM

I also suggest avoiding the kit approach. Look through the catalogs and see what grip, reel seat, and guides you'd like to have and if you can't get it in a kit then ask the dealer to make you an offer on what you want. If he's interested in your business he should be happy to customize your kit for a little extra. I also suggest you consider using single foot SIC guides and get a fighting butt option on the reel seat. I built a 9' 7 wt last year for bass using these options and am very happy with it--FlyDoctor

Posted by: Brent Speier (---.aspensys.com)
Date: January 31, 2002 02:00PM

Thanks for your suggestions!

Can you recommend to me, as a first time product buyer, a dealer that will work with me in buying everything that I need to build a good rod?

Thanks for your assistance,

-Brent

Posted by: Ray Alston (63.119.95.---)
Date: January 31, 2002 02:19PM

From my experience, you would have a hard time finding one of the sponsors to the left that wouldn't do this for you. I have dealt with most and am amazed at how experienced and helpful they are.

Ray Alston
Goldrush Rods

Posted by: Capt. Bill Hobbs (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2002 03:43PM

Brent, e-mail Dick French at Clemens Tackle. He and his staff have helped me out many times.

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 31, 2002 09:12PM

I have not dealt with him personally, but the one guy on this board who always jumps to help out the rod builders is Rich Garbowski at Rich's Rod and Reel. He can't be all bad if he is willing to help so much and so often. I'd give him a go and just may do that on my next project.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster