I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

whos tired of matte blanks!
Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2002 10:25AM

A question came up on the board a ways back about the most popular colors for fly rods. Well searching all the manufactures large and small it seems that the "lack of finish" is becomming the norm.

Many of the blanks id like to try are only available in matte. Did the customers drive this practice or did the manufactururs do it to save costs and then market no finish as hi tech!

I guess thats why im trying to find a good paint method to offset this lack of choice. The primary rod mfgs have color available but not many and some of the lesser priced blanks have a few choices. but many of the mid priced blanks are just well ,Graphite.

just an observation happy wrapping "John"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: whos tired of matte blanks!
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2002 10:36AM

John the matte finish probably is a little less costly to produce but where the problem comes in is the manufacturer is forced to produce a product that will appeal to the largest segement of the buying public.Now as custom builders we attempt to produce a rod for an individual.it would not pay for company A to produce 500 blanks in blue 500 more in green etc,simply not cost effective and would raise the prices to high.Some companies will special order blanks for you in color if you are willing to pay the additional cost involved.
John

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: January 30, 2002 11:03AM

According to an article interviewing Gary Loomis, one advantage to the no finish on the blank is that blanks without a seperate finish are slightly lighter. I think that may be what drove the no finish trend so far.

My favorite color is the old orvis PM10 green. Gosh, what a nice, semtransparent finish. I also wonder if a coat of finish provides some protection to the blank when it get hit by a bead head, etc.?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 30, 2002 11:13AM

A blank with no finish is going to be one that offers a bit better performance due to its lighter weight. There is enough difference that most can tell the difference by feel alone. Is it a night and day difference? No.

Sometimes colors are helpful to the manufacturer in keeping track of different blank series. Other times it is a marketing factor in offering something that will be appealing to the consumer.

Posted by: steve walters (192.132.24.---)
Date: January 30, 2002 11:43AM

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what kinds of paint can be used on blanks. Prefferably with brush. Where can they be purchased? Thanks

Posted by: William White (---.mps.ohio-state.edu)
Date: January 30, 2002 11:53AM

I for one prefer the look of a gloss blank. I'm also of the opinion that the small amount of weight saved by no finish is probably negligible.

Posted by: Steve Bohrer (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 31, 2002 11:41AM

The trout probanbly are. Glossy blanks produce a real glint when viewed by the trout in sunlight. Matt finish is much better for fishing. Glossy is OK if you are interested in a display rod.

Posted by: David Henney (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: February 01, 2002 03:03AM

I have 2 of the New Fisher Black Widow blanks and they have a matte finish, I can tell by far they are lighter than any other Fisher Blank I have, but everyone wants Green or Blue Blanks, I dont care about color myself I care about how the feel and preform.. These blanks are What Hal Bacon designed for the Fisher Rod Company, and they are the sweetest feeling blanks.. I only have 2 so you better hurry.. Thanks Davesrods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster