I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

IMX old and IMX new...... ?
Posted by: Mal Marlow (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: April 07, 2004 10:29AM

Does any one know if the old Loomis IMX blanks and the new
IMX blanks are the same............... ?

" I'm refering to tapers, and blank content materials. "

I just wondered since Shimano is the new owner if the tapers and blanks are of same materials as previously made by Loomis.

Many thanks
Mal

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: IMX old and IMX new...... ?
Posted by: Tim Kelly (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: April 07, 2004 10:36AM

I have been told that the new blanks seem to be slightly faster but are basically the same. But, most of the feedback I have received is that the blanks (all) from Loomis are of lesser quality than they used to be? Maybe someone here can verify that or tell us otherwise. I also would like to build the IMX but not if it isn't the same quality and action of the original.

Posted by: Dustin Crawford (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: April 07, 2004 10:52AM

I have built on both of the blanks, and while I haven't cc'd either of them, for some reason I prefer the old ones. In fact, I ended up selling the newer 3pc IMX, but I continue to use the older 6wt that I built as a big river rod. For some reason I didn't feel that the newer ones had the same "pop" as the older models ( this is just my opinion, I'm sure people would disagree). This is all just my opinion and I'm sure that they make fine rods, I personally prefer the older models.
Dustin

Posted by: Dustin Crawford (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: April 07, 2004 10:55AM

Sorry, I just remembered one more thing. Cote's fly shop and Angler's workshop both carry some of the older Loomis blanks for very reasonable prices if you would like to look for the older model IMX blanks. They are both on the web.
Dustin

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2004 11:05AM

Mal,
The newer IMX has a finish on the blank which will raise the weight, lower the efficiency and lower how rapidly the rod will respond and how far it will cast. I have also been told that the newer IMX are being made with glass scrim while the old IMX was made with graphite scrim which would have the same affect. I have sent a sample to a person that sometimes posts here and works in a lab where he can test to see what the scrim in fact is. We should know the results in a week or so.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.24.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: April 07, 2004 12:00PM

Keep in mind that what is referred to as the "original" IMX series was actually about 3 different series of blanks.

Debuting in 1987, the blanks did not utilize graphite scrim. In 1990, the material itself was changed to a higher modulus type. Shortly thereafter, graphite scrim and thermoplastic resin was introduced.

So there is really no one particular "original" IMX series. I haven't tried the new ones so can't really say how they might compare to the original ones in terms of weight or design. I suspect there will be some differences.

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.potshe01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2004 09:33PM

I recall a friend that worked in a fly shop who refered early IMX rods as "I M Broken." He claimed that they were prone to be brittle and that the fly shop had more than a few broken rods come back to the shop shortly after purchase. On the other hand, I've had one for going on 10 years with no problem...so there you have it.

Tim

Posted by: Mal Marlow (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: April 07, 2004 09:36PM

Many thanks guys for your feedback on the Loomis IMX blanks.

I'm glad I asked.............. It seems there possibly are some differences in the blanks of the new generation IMX's. Another fellow rod-builder mentioned to me a while back that the new ones were not as crisp(stiffer) in their action as the newest generation....... !

It will be interesting to see the results of the sample your getting tested Emory.

Thanks Tom K. ......I was not aware there were 3 different series of blanks of the IMX

The blank i was looking at getting was the 13ft IMX Loomis - Float rod blank. (4 to 8lb)

Many thanks once again.

Mal

Posted by: David Huang (---.hsh-nordbank.dk)
Date: June 02, 2005 06:52AM

Hello from rainy Copenhagen (Denmark),

I find your discussion about IMX-blanks VERY interesting. Sorry to break into the discussion thread, but I just had to :o)

The reason is that I am looking for some very specific IMX-blanks, which may be impossible to get my hands on. But I'll sure not let it go without a fight. And you guys may be able to help me. I am also not exactly sure, which blank it is...... perfect, huh???

I am looking for an ultra-light doublehanded IMX-blank in #5-6. It it supposed to be one of the original IMX-series. Actually it is supposed to be an alternative to the "Sage Ultra-light Spey Rod" (which is 12'0" and #5).

I do not know if the IMX's were ever made in #5, but I am told they made a #6 in the double handed series. Do you guys know if this is the case?. I am looking for somethin like between 11'0" and 13'0" in #5-6.

I am also told that the action on these rods/blanks are as crisp and delicate, as you'll ever find. Can you confirm this as well??

Would this be the old, middle or the young IMX-generation????

I really look forward to hear your feedback :o)

Tight loops,

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster