I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1st guide
Posted by: chuck lagrange (---.cp-tel.net)
Date: April 03, 2004 10:11PM

what is a good starting measurement for the guide closest to the reel?
also, how do you determine the best distance for this? this is a 7 ft. bass rod.

how in the world do you do this marble thing??

THANKS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st guide
Posted by: Mike Williams (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 03, 2004 10:16PM

Don't know what you mean by marble thing. Marbleizing?

The first guide can be found by taking a look at your other current rods and using that as a starting point. You want it close enough so that when the rod is under full load the line doesn't touch the foregrip or your hand there but it has to be far enough out that the reel can cast easily. Most of mine are between 17 and 20 inches from the reel spool on bass rods.

Posted by: Bob Crook (65.54.98.---)
Date: April 03, 2004 11:26PM

If you are talking about finding the spine of the blank following is some help I got on this board a few months ago from Tom Kirkman. It works and I have been using the marble method ever since.

"Also on a smooth floor or other hard surface, try setting the blank butt on a marble and pressing straight down on the tip. Mark the outside of the bend that forms. Do this several times. If the outside bend keeps turning up at the same location, you've found a subtle but definite spine."

Posted by: Vinny labruzzo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 03, 2004 11:49PM

What methods are you implementing with the "bass rod". If your not casting any great distance, Use static guide placement. When you set the butt guide just make sure it wont hit your hand when its on the fore grip.

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.birmingham-04-05rs.al.dial-access.att.net)
Date: April 04, 2004 12:48AM

I think you need to click on the FAQs button above and read up. Then click on LIBRARY for the Fuji Concept Guide System, then the Static Distribution System. On, FYI, the butt spinning guide should be about 1/2 the diameter of the reel spool, and the F.C.G.S.determines the placement to the choke guide, then the S.D.S. determines guide placement from the choke guide to the tip. This is much simpler than it sounds after you read the above mentioned articles, trust me. What marble thing? I just looked back and saw "Bass Rod". If this is a casting rod, ignore the Fuji Concept, it doesn't apply. The S.D.S. does. I think 16 in. to 24 in. from the reelseat to the butt guide, probably 17 to 19 in. Tape the guides on and test cast. Chuck, Good Building. Ralph

Posted by: Mike Tanner (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: April 05, 2004 11:32AM

The concept of using the smallest guides you can get away with after the first two or three butt end guides does still apply. I use single foot fly rod guides on the last three or five maybe more on longer rods.check out some so called high end rods at a shop and see what they are doing.
Mike

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.birmingham-09-10rs.al.dial-access.att.net)
Date: April 06, 2004 12:27PM

Mike, I agree. The "Fuji Concept Guide System", designed for spinning guide placement is specifically what I was referring to. The position of the butt guide is different for casting or spinning. Ralph

Marbleizing
Posted by: Darrell Gardner (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: November 14, 2004 12:02AM

I would like any information on marbleizing guide wraps

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster