I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alconite Guides
Posted by: Justin Hansen (---.NYU.EDU)
Date: January 24, 2002 05:47PM

I was just wondering what the general concensus on the Alconite guides is. What makes them different from the Hardloy series?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alconite Guides
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 24, 2002 07:23PM

Justin,

In a nutshell, compared to the hardloy series, alconite guides are lighter and the ring is harder.

Rich
www.rodreel.com

Posted by: Rod MacLeod (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2002 09:24PM

In another nutshell, they offer nearly the performance of SiC guides with a price just higher than hardloy.

Posted by: Tom Juster (65.34.108.---)
Date: January 24, 2002 11:45PM

Does anyone know what alconite IS? Is it just another variety of aluminum oxide, with a special treatment (like hardaloy) or a different manufacturing process that allows it to be made thinner without sacrificing strength?

I guess what I'm asking is: is alconite actually harder and slicker than hardaloy, or just lighter?

Posted by: Elrod(Jon Jenkins) (65.212.56.---)
Date: January 25, 2002 11:57AM

I do know that there is a very noticeable difference between Alconite and SIC on flyrods. Especially in the lower weight lines. I built two 3wts same blanks, same guide placement technique. Place them side-by-side in casting and there IS a difference. I find it a little more difficult to "feel" that difference in monofilament setups (casting, spinning), I attribute much of this to less actual contact between the smaller mono than the larger fly line. One other factor for me is I use alot of Don Mortons theories on guide placement, this requires more guides than usual and the SIC is going to offset this versus multiple Alconites (make sense?) So the result for me is this. All my flyrods get SIC guides and most spinning and casting get Alconite. I will use SIC on casting/spin is the customer insists on braided lines, and depending on actual frequency of usage and this is an attempt to reduce the chance of grooving. Anyway, don't know that actual matrix of ALconite, but can tell a difference, and that difference to me is worth the extra $.

Nutshell talk
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 25, 2002 04:54PM

Tom,
To my knowledge, Alconite is a name given by Fuji to the ceramic ring material. Alconite is harder than hardaloy, but not necessarily
'slicker'. The frames of alconite guides are lighter than the frames on regular hardaloy, and I believe the ring is smaller thus would also be lighter? Alconite guides offer plenty of strength for most normal freshwater fishing situations. Of course, always it's best to match up the right sizes and spacing, to the blank for optimal performance.

Rich
www.rodreel.com

Re: Nutshell talk
Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 31, 2002 11:35PM

Fuji claims that Alconite is the lightest guide they make, even lighter than SIC. I like them a lot on spinning tackle although I strongly recommend SIC if the customer ever uses braided line. I'm not really sure how well Alconite would hold up to the braids but I can be certain of SIC. I'm fishing heavily with a rod this winter and spring - Alconite guides & braided line to check it out. I'll post results.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster