I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

signature / rod info
Posted by: brad middleton (---.semo.net)
Date: March 13, 2004 01:18AM

I am building my first rod and was wanting to put my name and rod info on the blank using a gel pen. How is the best way to prepare the rod and how do you preserve the info you put on the rod? Should I use CP and finish or just finish? I don't know if it matters but, I will be using Cabela's CP and finish.
Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: signature / rod info
Posted by: Dan Craft (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: March 13, 2004 01:46AM

Brad,

I find the jell pens work best for me if I lay down a coat of finish first to write on. After the finish dries, you can write your info and then coat over the writing. I have found some jell pens that stand up to the finish but it is safer to put a coat of color preserver over the lettering before putting on your second coat of finish. In all these cases, make sure the jell writing is completely dry before coating with anything.
Good luck!

Dan Craft

Posted by: John DeWitt (---.nnorth.denison.edu)
Date: March 13, 2004 02:23AM

Grad,

I agree with Dan 100%. A coat of epxoy should go down first, then apply decal or inscription about 24 hours later. Epoxy over and you're set. Email me if you'd like some photos of my examples.

John
dewitt_j@denison.edu

Posted by: James Jancek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 13, 2004 07:07AM

Dan or John what about peel and stick decals are they the same as the waterslide decals? Thanks Jim

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.75.88.29.Dial1.Weehawken.Level3.net)
Date: March 13, 2004 08:10AM

Brad; I would suggest to use flex coat CP, the cabellas is I think a lacquer and very strong-you may get a reaction. What was said already plus what I do is put my first letter on then put a piece of 1/4" tape under to give me a line to wright over. Then I heat the ink with a hair dryer, to help and make sure it is dry. James; Check out Decal Connection for info on decals

Posted by: Kenneth Prager (---.26.119.182.Dial1.Philadelphia1.Level3.ne)
Date: March 13, 2004 08:40AM

Suggest to you a method that has worked for me. Use gel pen directly on the clean and oil free rod blank. Spray with UV krylon clear coat. Finish epoxy, for a beautiful finish.
Kenneth Prager

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.205.95.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: March 13, 2004 09:33AM

James,

Peel and stick decals are a bit thicker and don't have the totally clean, disappearing effect that most water slide decals do.

Posted by: brad middleton (---.semo.net)
Date: March 13, 2004 11:34PM

Thanks for all the info. I'll put it all to good use - - - - hopefully.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster