I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Aftco seats
Posted by: jim reed (---.woh.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2002 12:16PM

I'm going to be using Aftco seats on some surf poles. I can't find any graphite arbors big enough. The outer diameter of the arbor is to small to be reamed to fit over the blank and even if possible they would not match up to the seats themselves. I looked through Dale Clemans , and Tom Kirkmans' books and could not find anything about mounting these larger seats. Should I use cork tape, masking tape or something else. I don't think the tape will hold with the amount of pressure that will be placed on these seats during long fights with saltwater fish. Ideas please! Thanks Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aftco seats
Posted by: steve walters (192.132.24.---)
Date: January 22, 2002 01:19PM

A rod builder I talked to when I first started uses masking tape. He builds many surf rods for shark fishing the texas coast. I've seen these guys use 16/0 reels on these things. He marks off where the seat will be and fills this space with masking tape leaving 1/8 to 3/16 gaps inbetween 1/2 inch tape. He filled the gaps completely with slow cure epoxy and turned the seat on to spread the epoxy. I've always let it cure with the rod standing up so the epoxy settles down and makes a solid bond from the blank to the seat. Good luck

Date: January 22, 2002 01:24PM

The tape doesn't come lose after time? That is the only thing I am worried about.

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2002 01:31PM

Many people swear by tape. Others hate it and have had problems with it. I know that Pac Bay makes the graphite type arbors up to size 32 mm and that fits most seats on the market.

Another and much better thing than masking tape is the fiberglass drywall tape you can get at most hardward stores. It has open grid structure so the epoxy can penetrate and lock it all in place. It can be wound around the blank just like masking tape but will not dry out of shift over time. That is how I would go if you cannot get the larger arbors.

Date: January 22, 2002 01:42PM

Fiberglass drywall tape, never thought of that. Thanks.

Date: January 22, 2002 01:46PM

Forgot, will the epoxy bond well to the aluminum seat or does any special precautions need to be done?

Date: January 22, 2002 02:01PM

I know the drywall tape is covered in Tom's book and remember seeing a photo of it along with some other methods like string, thread and cork bushings. But get the type that sticks to itself and even then you may have to bind down the last edge with a small piece of tape to hold it while you glue things up.

As far as I know all you have to do to glue the seat is clean it and scour it with scotchbrite. I'd put them on like that and they seem to stick like heck!

Posted by: Justin Hansen (---.NYU.EDU)
Date: January 22, 2002 02:57PM

I use masking tape, but I think that the drywall tape will be a new experiment for me. One could also use some five minute epoxy to lock the end of the tape down before wrapping it on top of itself. Not sure that it is necessary, but it can't hurt.

Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.211.mhub.grid.net)
Date: January 22, 2002 05:13PM

You can use masking tape, fiberglass cloth, etc. I would leave about 1/8" in front and in back of the seat with at least 3/4" gap in the tape sections. When you slide the seat down, the epoxy will fill the gap at the back of the seat/grip and when you slide the foregrip on the epoxy will fill the gap at front of the seat/grip.The gaps should be 'completely' filled with whatever epoxy you are using.

Also, I rough up the inside of all seats, especially the aluminum seats. Take a round file and score it well, then clean thoroughly with alcohol. You could use a dremel tool or most anything that you have available to roughen it up.

After you install the seat and grips, stand the rod up before the epoxy hardens so that it will level evenly.

Date: January 22, 2002 06:26PM

You'll like the drywall tape as it has an open grid which lets the epoxy seep through and through and lock everything in place. Can't even come loose even if you expose the rod to rough weather or water.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.ocean.eticomm.net)
Date: January 22, 2002 08:54PM

I use that drywall tape i split it in half, and use it that way about 3/4" wide. I tape it to the blank with a small piece of tape and apply the epoxy i tie it off with some thread, a couple wraps

Posted by: Jeff Stickle (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: January 22, 2002 11:19PM

I like chalk line saturated with slow cure epoxy. You can get a good fit almost the whole length of the seat.

Wrap it up dry and get it to fit pretty close. If you need to you can seperate the strands of the line and use that for fine tuning the fit. After a dry run take it off and wrap it on while saturating it with epoxy. It expands a bit and you will get a tight fit when you slide the seat on.

Posted by: Justin Hansen (---.DATANET.NYU.EDU)
Date: January 23, 2002 12:07AM

That must add a lot of weight being that it is saturated with epoxy. Is is vastly heavier? I wonder if it would work as well on smaller, lighter rods as I think it would on a larger heavier rod where weight isn't as much of an issue.

Posted by: Kevin Malpass (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 23, 2002 08:10AM

I've tried it. Masking tape with gaps filled with epoxy is the heaviest of the lot. The dry wall tape is not heavy and most of the space is filled with tape. The grip pattern allows epoxy to work its way down into it to lock everything in place but it does not take as epoxy to do that as it would to fill an open gap. It will work fine for any type reel seat mounting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster