I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Australian Vs American
Posted by: Stuart Mackenzie (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: January 19, 2002 05:14AM

I thought That would get your attention fellas and now that i have it i would like to make a point of obseravtin. I have found that over the years in Australia we down under rod builders have been the last to recieve the latest rod components but we still manage to turn out world class rods. This being the case i have found it very interesting to see allot of American made rods built more as a fashionable tool. No im not saying that yours are all glitter but we mere Aussies tend to spend more time on designe and function than inlays and all matalic binds and yes i do now that you spend time in this erea. Im probley going to get shot for this but i dont mean any disrespect to American rod builders its only an observation as i said before but its interesting to compare Aussie built rods with the Americans they are so different. Dont get all offended guys.

Stuart

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Australian Vs American
Posted by: Ron Beagles (---.ev1.net)
Date: January 19, 2002 07:55AM

no offense taken - I had the pleasure of seeing some rods from down under in San Diego in the early 80's. The one Iiked was the marlin rod made from 24 k gold leaf lettering and gold plated guides for black marlin fishing on the great barrier reef! Basic but nice - the combination of black and gold impressed me very much.

I myself like the basic look - the rods I sell are for guys who cannot spend money on the extra weaves and all. I like alot of the fancy buttwraps, but my end users wont generally pay for that. So differrent strokes for differrent folks.

If you go to momentoffame.com you can see some nice work from alot of other US rod makers. Perhaps you could post some of your work up there? Have a good one mate and let thelittle ones go so they can grow up to tommorrows big fish.

regards

ron b

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 19, 2002 07:58AM

Stuart,

No offense taken by me. I must point out though, Rich Grabowski of Solyrich Rods builds some awfully nice looking, intricate, rods and he hails from Canada. Also some great looking rods with complicated weaves and such are coming out of the State California. And just so you know, most of the United States considers California another Country. Don't worry, you Aussies will catch up to the rest of us.

Rich does build good looking rods, the rest was just a joke. I take your comments as a compliment. Thanks.

Bill Doherty

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 19, 2002 08:25AM

Hey mate, In this country one works very mentally hard. There is the ever present pressure to produce. I think that a lot of us choose the thread art as an escape from pressure and a way to relax. I wanted to be an artist but can't draw water from a well. I can weave and make crosswraps and that satifies my artistic urges. I personally don't think there is any difference between Aussies and Yanks other than the fact that we tend to be better looking.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 19, 2002 10:21AM

I see no difference between the rods made in America and those made overseas. On almost any continent I can point to examples of solid functional rods, as well as very fancy and cosmetially enhanced rods. (You hope that the latter are also functionally sound, and while some aren't, most are.) I've seen plenty of fancy wraps on Australian made rods. Lots of rod builders in Australia for sure.

Bottom line is that after seeing so many thousands of rods I don't think anyone could look at a particular rod and emphatically state that it must have been made in such and such a place. Rod building of all forms seems, to me at least, to have long ago crossed geographical boundries.

Posted by: Richard's Rod & Reel (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 19, 2002 11:15AM

Hey Stuart,
Mate, I know you're being tortured by the heat of your summer down under. Colder than @#$%& up here in Canada and cabin fever setting in, but I'll tell you that you should not feel taking a back seat with your vision of custom rods. The pics you sent for my viewing were nothing short of fantastic and you should be proud. Hey, and besides that Special Austrailian leather grip material is something quite handsome and has not yet reached the 'fashion world' over here. So there, You also do something that is 'design' , 'function', and beauty! I may also tend to disagree with you that over here in North America there IS a great deal of time spent with design and functions.

I think also you have a very differtent fishery in Australia that may have something to do with our tradition with species such as bass, trout, and even quite different saltwater applications. (You also don't have Hollywood, haha). I know this is generalizing, but you would see some stunning specialty freshwater rods for strictly function, such as tournament bass rods, or specific design muskie rods and would have less to do with thread art work. The blank designs are quite awesome in selection for specificity of application, and the input of angler's and rodbuiders has an impact on what is available to the market for making yet better custom rods.

I doubt that many would argue that adding the artistry is just an extension of the grand craft of custom rodbuilding? and this matters to some builders more than others.

Stu, no disrespect taken or given. I know it's your way of getting a point across, and besides we're in a continent of extreme creativity . What posesses us to continue in this direction does not deter the vast improvements in functionality and design.

Just my opinion. g'day mate, for the frozen North of Canada!

Bill, I truly appreciate your kind unexpected comments. We don't consider our talents as more particular than any custom rodbuilder can accomplish with practice. Another point, is those 'decorative' rods have come in handy with some tournament winners, so why shouldn't they present a bit more 'fashionable' looking?

To me it is and probably always will be this:
Custom Rod = Performance & Appearance

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2002 11:49AM

I think we are returning to the idea of custom once again,what does the customer want and expect in his rods, many tournament fisherman could care less about appearance function is their primary concern, still others wish thread work to match boat colors,weaves of the sought fish etc. It is all a matter of personal taste.To be a noticed builder today we should provide both the thread and other atristry requested by some and always provide the best functioning rod in all cases.
John

Posted by: Stuart Mackenzie (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: January 19, 2002 08:08PM

John you hit the nail on the head mate. I do agree our fishing is way diffrent from yours and hence so is or rods. Our fish tend to be big mean and very ugly oh hang on im talking about the Aussie male i meant our fish. Any way guys it wasnt to spark an argument just a point of observation. I do give you yanks alott of credit though you dont do things in half measures. Richard i saw some of your work all i can say is wow that is nice. You do have way to much time on your hands mate. Im going to put some picks of my work on the moment of fame site and will let you all know when its up. I will put examples of my weaves and game rods.

Stuart

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 19, 2002 10:42PM

Stu,
What do ya mean time on my hands? Just cause I type fast? I only wish we could buy more time. Little secret. I have help with the wraps, the 'dirty' work is more like what is left for me to manage with rods.

Can't wait to see more of your work on the moment of fame site.
I know what you do with all your time. Fighting those big fish is a tough living, but someone's gotta do it. And anyone that has time for the fancy weaves, should not talk about having time on their hands!hahah. Pretty rod for ugly fish....okay.

email me soon about things, when YOU have the time. mate.

Rich

Posted by: Rod MacLeod (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2002 01:39AM

I tend to look at it like this, here in the U.S. of A. we have creamy and crunchy peanut butter. (I personally prefer Skippy Super Chunk) In Australia you have Vegemite. Perhaps if there were creamy and crunchy Vegemite, more Aussies might think there was a need for fancy threadwork.

I personally prefer a fishing rod that is built as a functional fishing tool. I see the beauty in design as a matter of form and function where others see the beauty in aesthectic artistry. This may be due to my frugal Scottish roots.

What matters most is that we are where we are today because the Pommies didn't want us there and sent us on our merry way to outshine them every step of the way.

Good fishing Stuart and have fun building the way you want to build.

Yours Aye,

Roderick Grant MacLeod

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster