I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I want to remove my aluminium reel seat
Posted by: Harald Runde (---.daxnet.no)
Date: January 18, 2002 09:31PM

because it`s to big. I also need to remove the cork because of this.

Any suggestion on how to solve this problem with a good result?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I want to remove my aluminium reel seat
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 18, 2002 09:44PM

It really depends on how the seat was mounted to begin with. Heat may break the bond on it and the cork. I have heard of using a heat gun or hair dryer set on high to break the bond. I have also heard of putting the assembly into a pan of boiling water to break the bond.

If you don't mind destroying the seat you can cut it off by spiral cutting with a hack saw and then twisting or prying it open and popping it off the rod. The cork can be cut off or just turned down and the replacment installed right on top.

These are just some ideas and I am sure there will be some others.

HEAT
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 19, 2002 11:40AM

Someone I know that is an expert in reel seat repair may join in here, but the heat gun or blow dryer is the best bet for loosening the seat .
The cork will be removed generally by cutting it out and the careful use of a blade. Takes a bit of time, and paying attention to safety.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Re: HEAT
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2002 12:00PM

Harald various ways of removing the seat,in order to get the best info on how to do so it will be necessary to submit some more info as to type of rod, boat, spin, light, heavy ,fly, blank material etc.The best way to do the job will vary depending on the additional info for example if after removing the cork you should now have a good idea about how much clearance there is between the reel seat and the blank,now you can decide if you have enough clearance to power cut it off or to very carefully cut it with a hacksaw.I use a heat gun in most cases to remove the seat but certain blanks, shakespear for example are highly suspectable to heat damage. Try to provide a little more info and we will try to help
John

Don't like heat
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.128.mhub.grid.net)
Date: January 19, 2002 12:08PM

At the risk of going against the predominant grain again, I would advise against the use of heat.

It takes very little time with a fine tooth metal cutting hacksaw blade to remove an aluminum seat. Mike's cutting method is the one that I have always used on all types of seats graphite, brass and aluminum. Cut it like a spiral cut ham. When you finish, gently pry it open with a screwdriver and peel it off.

Cork is just as easy to remove with a sturdy knife, if you are careful and don't get carried away. Make sure it is very sharp. Shave the cork down to the blank and then remove the excess by scraping or sanding.

Heat is a tricky thing to control. You can't actually 'see' if the heat has weakened the blank or not.

Re: Don't like heat
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2002 12:39PM

Which is why I said that I like to see how much clearance there is between the blank and the seat, both methods can damage a blank and has been stated you must work carefully.One idea that is always useful is pick up some cheap rods damaged or broken from flea markets tackle stores etc and try to remove the seats on them,find a way that works for you and go at it. A little experience goes a long way when attempting a serious project
John

Boiling water.
Posted by: Chris Tan (---.jaring.my)
Date: January 19, 2002 09:51PM

I soak the handle in boiling water (sometimes it takes along time). Seems to work without damaging the blank. But then there are different resins on the market in use. Daren't use a heat gun as the temp can be higher than boiling water.

If the handle is custom glued on using slow curing epoxy, boiling water won't work. If rapid curing epoxy (5 min) is used, it is more susceptible to heat and probably will work.

Many variables. But if you just want to remove and change the seat, cut it off in a spiral.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster