I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hand grease on thread wraps
Posted by: Alan Gasior (---.totalonline.cz)
Date: January 18, 2002 10:20AM

Can hand grease cause any trouble by applying finish? Or should I clean (degrease) all the wraps before finishing? Which degreasing agent you would recommend?
Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hand grease on thread wraps
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 18, 2002 10:43AM

The best thing you can do is to avoid touching the threads anymore than is absolutely necessary. Washing your hands and even wiping your fingers with isopropyl alcohol before wrapping is a good idea.

As far as how to "de-grease" the threads if you feel you have contaminated them with an unusual amount of hand oils is something I will leave to someone better versed in that arena than myself.

Normally I use color preserver on all my wraps and believe that tends to seal in any such oils, if they exist.

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: January 18, 2002 11:11AM

On hand oils if there is alot on threads then the only thing that can be done is to rewrap them as when you put the coating on the threads,the coating will pull away from the area were you touched it.
Neal Cissel

Posted by: Elrod(Jon Jenkins) (65.212.56.---)
Date: January 18, 2002 12:34PM

One preventative measure is using a guitar pick to do all your straightening and packing. This keeps your hands off. The ONLY time my hands come in contact with the threads is starting the wrap and slightly when tying off. I also keep my fingers cleaned with denatured alcohol every 30 minutes or so.

Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.penn.com)
Date: January 18, 2002 12:41PM

The handiest thing I've done is to keep spray bottles of alcohol at all my 'stations' (wrapping,shaping, & glueing).This keeps the alcohol handy,and,I'm able to get it with one hand.Very easy to 'clean-up' glue -smeared blanks during handle assembly.

During wrapping of a buttwrap,I clean my hands every pass or two just to kill any oils or sweat,sneezes,coughs,etc...."G"

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 18, 2002 04:06PM

I all way wash my hands before and dureing my wrappiing . It is also a good idea to wash your rod down with a light dish soap and rinse & dry throughly before wraping. The reason for washing rod is how knows how many people have touched the rod.
Good Luck Bob

Posted by: Dave Patterson (---.CDRP.splitrock.net)
Date: January 18, 2002 06:02PM

Don,t you have to touch the wraps to adjust the guides before finishing?

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 18, 2002 08:12PM

Unless you are an extremely heavy sweater, you should not encounter any problems. Just wash your hands before you sit down to work and if you feel that your hands are feeling oily, wash again. Otherwise, you should not have any problems.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster