I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

who has titanium snake guides?
Posted by: Charlie Burris (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2004 01:37AM

I had previously wrote:

I was wondering who makes and supplies 100% Titanium snake guides . I was wondering as well about the Titanium coates snake guides and how they compare as to lightness to others?

And got one response....I know more than one of y'all has an opinion here. Any info is helpful.

Thanks,
Charlie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: who has titanium snake guides?
Posted by: John Chase (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2004 03:47AM

Previously posted to you Charlie!!

Charlie, how are you doing in fly blank land??
REC makes a titanium alloy snake in their Recoil line of guides.
As for the Ti nitride plated guides. There is no weight savings and while they do look nice the fly line will scuff the plating off the inside of the snake.
You wouldn't be looking to put these on a Burkheimer blank, would you? {:8-)

Date: February 19, 2004 04:53AM

Ok..... are the recoil the plated type? I like Recoils products. I am seriously considering setting up an account there and just trying to confirm if the Titaniums thye have are what I am looking for?

I am loving fly blank land! I am still in boot camp there and loving every minute of it. I am putting one together to Chase the Stealhead here. Going all Titanium! I just have to put it together before the fish are gone......The rivers are really producing!

Charlie

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.us.kpmg.com)
Date: February 19, 2004 09:38AM

I have used the Recoil guides on light rods (eg, 7' 6" 3wt) and have been very pleased. Very, very light and because these rods are often for bushwhacking to small streams the flexibility/durability was a definite plus. My understanding is they are made out of an alloy (not pure TI) similiar to that used in the eye glass frames that you can almost tie in a knot. imo, I'm not sure it would be adviseable to go any lighter, thinner without this flexibility the alloy offers.

On heavier rods, I'm more inclined to use SF ceramics with Forhan locking wraps for all the rationale used by many on this board. But, imo, if I was going to build a rod with the intent of building it as light as possible where every grain counted and without sacrificing much durability, then the sf Recoils would be a definite option. I just think there is a point of diminishing returns in weight reduction and the light weight ceramics have some additional attributes that enhance "castability" and longevity'

Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2004 11:15AM

I read your earllier post and the two responses, which were correct. Nobody makes a 100% titanium snake guide.

The Recoil guides from REC are a solid nickel titanium alloy, as already stated. They are not plated. They have changed my opinion of snake guides. They are exceptionally light and have amazing flexibility. I have used the RSNX two 6 weights, a 7 weight and an 8 weight. The latter was a 10' Dan Craft Signature V steelhead rod that I made for a friend, and the finished rod was very light and powerful. It instantly became his favorite rod. I used the RSN guides on a 9' 3-4 weight. The finished rod was very light and had a feel that was like the bare blank.

In another post I commented that the RSNX were not "stout" enough for heavy duty rods. REC contacted me to let me know they have heard similar complaints and are working on beefing up the RSNX. For now I agree with Steve Rushing. The SF SIC guides are the best choice. I have two saltwater rods with the TiCH coated snakes, and they are doomed to be backups forever.

Posted by: Todd Ehrlich (---.ev1.net)
Date: February 19, 2004 02:31PM

Being a dentist, I love nickel titanium! It has revolutionized how we do root canals. I know you don't want to hear about root canals, BUT, here goes.

A "root canal" is basically where the nerve tissue, blood vessels, lymphatics of a tooth are removed for a multitude of reasons. A tooth's canal (where the nerve is) can be incredibly small in diameter from calcification, but it still has the same length of the root. We use very thin and long (about 30mm) files to clean this canal out. The latest, greatest files that we now use are made out of nickel titanium. They can torque, bend, and stretch. This allows us to clean out a nearly impossible curved or calcified canal with out the file separating. They can and do separate, but the chances are a whole lot less (than stainless steel).

Our files are even thinner than REC's RSN Recoil guide AND it has grooves on it to ream out the canal.

If nickel titanium can withstand these kind of pressures, they will easily withstand any line running across it or pulling on it.

If you have a dentist as a client, make sure you use the Recoil guides for his/her rod!

Todd Ehrlich, DDS

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.us.kpmg.com)
Date: February 19, 2004 03:21PM

Well, if I ever need an emergency root canal while out fishing I know what to suggest to the paramedic :)

Never ceases to amaze me what I learn on this board.

Posted by: Dan Lanier (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2004 03:23PM

To Clarify Mr. Spark's comment that REC has received complaints about RSNX guides I can say we have not received complaints, only 'suggestions' from rod builders that make the heavier SW fly rods that we consider making the RSNX/RSFX guides 'stouter', beefier etc. for the larger weight fly rods. We are currently looking into doing this by making prototypes which will have to be tested.
I might add that our current line of RECOIL guides to include the RSNX guides are completely functional and perform perfectly.
Though lighter in weight and appearance than other guides on the market they can stand up to the rigors of the battle in river, stream and ocean.
Dan Lanier/REC

Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2004 04:45PM

Todd, I've had a root canal, and I have no intention of making a fly rod to give the dentist as a token of my appreciation! I am corrected in my comment about complaints on the RSNX guides. I meant everything I said to be complementary of the Recoil guides.

Posted by: Todd Ehrlich (---.ev1.net)
Date: February 19, 2004 06:30PM

Root canals may not be great, but they are a whole lot better and faster with NiTi files (nickel titanium). When you are at your next dentist visit ask them to make sure they are up to date!
Todd

Date: February 20, 2004 04:04PM

Well, I guess I will go with The recoils for both guides and materials for a root canal if I need one.

now I have heard that the titanium guides make a strange sound while casting? is this true? can I live with the sound if it is true?

thanks for the excellent input!

Charlie

Posted by: Gerry Fairbanks (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 22, 2004 07:30AM

I have used the RSNX guides on heavy rods since they first came out, and I cannot imagine them having any problem--certainly none of mine have. I hope that REC DOESN'T make them heavier without some compelling reason to do so. The combination of strength, flexibility, corrosion resistence, and LIGHTNESS is what makes these guides so great. IMO they don't need to be changed just because they LOOK less strong to somebody.

Gerry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster