I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Snook Rods
Posted by: Ray Alston (63.119.95.---)
Date: January 17, 2002 10:07AM

Need a little information from some of my fellow FLA. boys. I've got a customer wanting a couple of new snook rods and we can't seem to come to agreement on the blanks. He wants a live bait rig, but doesn't expect to be fishing bridges or docks. Knowing snook, I think he needs more rod than he does. What blank have most been using for this. Recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray Alston
Goldrush Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Snook Rods
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2002 10:15AM

Ray need a little more info I have built snook rods for live bait use from bridges and piers where they want to use 80lb line on the other hand those who fish the flats are more interested in casting much lighter baits a long distance,I have mostly gone to the GUSA series of blanks,strong,light weight a good overal choice
John

Posted by: Capt. Bill Hobbs (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2002 10:27AM

The Lamiglas GLB901MT works great for me also handels Tarpon real well.

Date: January 17, 2002 01:47PM

Looking at 7ft. 25-30lb. class. I was looking at the Lamiglas GLB84M. The GLB901MT might be a better choice as it allows for a little longer handle. He wants to use it for fishing holes and ledges, no bridges or pilings. The main need is for chunking up to 2oz of bait and lead when the current is strong. No plugging or jigging. Just want to make sure the blank will cast that weight well enough.

Ray

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2002 02:55PM

Ray 2 blanks come to mind GUSA BSW70MH rated 15-30 and 1-4oz or the B70MAG also 15-30 and 1-4 oz. either should handle snook in fairly open water.along with the occasional Tarpon.
John

Date: January 17, 2002 05:09PM

Thanks to Mr. Britt, I picked up the GUSA B83M for the flats and a 9012DHS. After checking out the blanks I would say they are going to make some outstanding saltwater rods. I am also interested in the B70MAG for Snook and Tarpon.

Posted by: Mike Wallace (---.bergen.org)
Date: January 18, 2002 01:47PM

I have a Lami GSH901MT that I just built and have an Abu 6600AB without the AB feature (I took it off, it was useless). I'm going to use 50lb whiplash and would like to throw small baits and plugs for snook in the flats. I haven't used it yet, is this too light? should I have built something a bit more stout?

Mike W.

Date: January 18, 2002 03:35PM

Mike,

For your intended purpose, it sounds like a fine setup. If you intend on having casting accuracy for your plugs and small baits I wouldn't go toooo heavy. My application is for throwing heavy baits and heavy leads in high current situations. I hate to have my rod droop to the deck trying to throw the heavy rigs. Also I'm not looking for the casting accuracy you are. Do you really need 50lb.test?

Ray Alston
Goldrush Rods

Posted by: Mike Wallace (---.bergen.org)
Date: January 19, 2002 07:57AM

Ray,
Thanks for the feedback. It's my first venture into building my own rod. The 50lb Whip was a gift, it has 12lb diameter which is about the size of the line I would use anyway. I figured why not? What would the draw back be for using line that size and strength? How would the "whipiness" or "rigidity" of the rod affect line selection? I can't wait to try it out :-)

Mike Wallace

Posted by: Harold Tanner (---.xtalwind.net)
Date: January 19, 2002 09:00AM

My two cents on this subject. When I first started casting for snook with artificials I thought I had to have some really heavy gear. I built some rods similar to the Lamiglass 901 mentioned above, mounted a ABU 6000 reel and went after them. I soon realized this was overkill and went back to fresh water sized casting equipment. I caught fish with the big stuff but ended up with a tennis elbow that kept me from casting for a few weeks. I found that some really large snook can be handled with lighter to moderate gear. I realize bait fishing with heavy terminal tackle requires a stouter rod but for plug casting lighter is better. I build all my rods and stick with 7 foot rods that I use for fresh water bass or redfish up to 20-30 pounders (ABU 5600 reels, 12 lb. line) All day casting with the big sticks are just too exhausting. With spinners I use Shimino 4000's and 7-8 ft. rods with 10 lb. line. Never met the snook I couldn't handle. Incidentally I use all single foot guides on all my casting and spinning rods. Even the big sticks.

Capt. Harold (Everglades snook man)

Date: January 19, 2002 11:29AM

Harold, when I'm down in the Glades I use a Lamiglas XC84MH, SIC guides, ECSM reel seat, with a Daiwa PT33SH and 20 lb. Power Pro. That usually pulls them logs out from under a mangrove root. Also can go up the river and catch Bass.

Posted by: Ray Alston (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 20, 2002 08:13PM

Down in the backwaters, I agree, the larger bass rods work well. But when you get out in much deeper water, with live bait and heavy lead, strong current.......You just can't turn the big ones and if there are any bottom obstructions......you're gonna lose him. Some of my clients are also fishing for snook in 30-40ft water on wrecks. These guys are using monster rods to keep the fish from running in the mess. I guess you have to make your mind up just how you're going to fish them before you build your rod.

Ray

Date: January 21, 2002 02:38PM

I would have to agree about the monster rods on the wrecks. Also this is why I got into building rods, now I can build my rods my way to fit my style of fishing.

Posted by: Michael Wallace (---.nni.com)
Date: January 21, 2002 05:17PM

Ray,
I have a CGBT841M that I'm going to build after i complete the other Lamiglas I mentioned above. I'm building this blank for Tautog (wreck / bottom fishing in the north east) and maybe a chunking rod for stripers and blues.

Is this the type of blank you're describing for your application?

When I make trips down to FL in the future i'd like to bring it for some versatility so I won't be overmatched.

Thanks,

Mike Wallace

Posted by: Ray Alston (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 21, 2002 09:33PM

Mike,

Thats probably a little heavy for most snook applications. Most generally everybody stays in the 25lb. class. Its just a particular bunch that fishes the wrecks for snook. Most people fish inshore, beaches, inlets, bridges, docks, etc. Down south around Flamingo or Chokoloskee, they mostly cast plugs, jigs, or small baits. Bass or light saltwater gear works great for this.

Ray

Date: January 24, 2002 08:46AM

Ray, I've caught a 117 lb. Tarpon on that Lamiglas GLB901MT . I also have friends down in the Keys that use this rod for Snapper fishing. It's a great saltwater rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster