I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe Setup Questions
Posted by: Scott Kolts (---.teledynemetalworking.com)
Date: January 16, 2002 05:44PM

I just purchased a Jet Mini lathe so I can turn my own grips (and eventually turn reel seats). However, I'm curious to hear how others have setup the mandrel when turning cork. I've purchased a 3-jaw self-centering chuck and I'll be turning the cork on some type of mandrel rather than on the blank.

First of all, what do you recommend to use for the mandrel (a threaded rod or otherwise)? I don't expect to find many threaded rods without some amount of bend, so I have to think there's a better mandrel solution; I just don't know what it is.

When I do find something to use as a mandrel, what is the best way to connect it to the tailstock? Right now, I've just got the live center that came with the lathe. Should I get some type of chuck to hold the mandrel in the tailstock? I'm a beginner lathe user, so please bear with me.

I also wanted to mention how much fun it was to meet so many of you at the Conclave. I've got so many new ideas to try for future rods and so little time to actually use them. I'm already looking forward to next year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe Setup Questions
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: January 16, 2002 06:13PM

Scott,
If you get a chance, read the last two articles I wrote for Rodmaker magazine on this very subject. The mandrel I use is just a piece of drill rod available through any machine shop supply. It is staright, hard and very cheap. I use like ten different sizes for different blanks. Just take the drill rod and have one end of it bored to accept the live center that came with your lathe. Most machinists can do this for you very easily. Just tell them that you need one end of the rod bored to accept the live center of your lathe, and they will know what you need. Threaded rod is hardly ever straight, and it is too whippy. I get my Drill Rod from J&L Industrial supply. Look for them on the web. This is a really easy thing to do. I gave a lecture at the last Conclave on turning reel seats, and I think everyone was surprised at how easy and fun turning reel seats really is!
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions!!

Andy Dear
Lamar Custom Fishing Rods
San Antonio Tx
210-696-6852

Posted by: Lou Horvath (---.monmouth.com)
Date: January 16, 2002 07:35PM

Just some info for anybody who is considering buying a Mini lathe: I also just purchased one this weekend and choose the Fisch TC-90. After looking and trying the Jet, and Delta I went with the Fisch. The fit and finish is superior to the others and motor is a 1/2hp 6.8amp. Also it has an ext. bed like the Delta. Very smooth and easy to change speeds. Also you can get a great deal on them. I bought it from Fisch at a woodworking show for $279. and they gave me the $65. extention bed ! Check it out before you buy

Posted by: Frank Moore (---.bspg1.fl.home.com)
Date: January 16, 2002 09:13PM

Scott - the advice you receive from Andy is excellent. I was not able to see very much of the demonstration/seminar he gave at the rod guild conclave - my loss. The articles he did for the rodmaker magazine are first rate and have me anxious to purchase a wood lathe. I have the Clemens rod lathe and know that Dick French at Clemens Tackle sells a set of mandrels for turning cork on the rod lathe. You might have a look at his online catalog. Good luck with the turning.
Frank Moore

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 16, 2002 09:33PM

I have seen the Fisch and it is similar to the Delta and Jet, but if you catch it at a woodworking show can get a good deal on it. Looks like a good unit to me. All the castings are very similar and almost identical. I'd buy the one that you can get the best price on. I've not heard any complaints on any of them.

You can also fit the tailstock of any of these lathes with a jacobs chuck and in the chuck you can install one of the live centers sold with the Clemens or Renzetti lathes. Just another idea.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster