I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Old Rods
Posted by: Don P (205.139.10.---)
Date: January 16, 2002 02:34PM

Recently while cleaning out our family hunting camp in upstate NY, we came upon two very old rods that belonged to my great (or maybe great great?) grandfather. Being an avid custom rod builder I of course would like to restore them to as close to original condtion as possible.

The 1st by all appearances is a 6' cane (?) two handed surf casting rod (don't ask me what a surf casting rod was doing in a hunting camp in the Tug Hill region of NY. However grandpa was sometimes described as a little "strange"). It has a brass slide ring real seat and turned wood grips. Under the 2 guides (held on by electricians tape) you can see what looks like securing pins inserted in the blank. There very definite joints where the blank was glued. Without whittling I cannot tell if the material is cane or some other type of hardwood. After an extensive cleaning and polishing operation, I was able to see an engraved inscription on the real seat. It says the rod was built by "Horrock Bros., Utica, NY. The rod is in excellent condition and workmanship is excellent.

The 2nd is a steel 8' telescoping flyrod. The inscription on the real seat says it is a 'XPert" . The outside finish is a brown paint of some sort, and his highly pitted with visble rust. Any ideas on how to restore this? A small brass fly reel was attached and looks godd as the day it was made.
Any help the good folks on this board can give me would be greatly appreciated by me and probably gramps if he was around.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Rods
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 16, 2002 09:39PM

The first rod is probably hickory if it is a round rod. It is hexagonal or segmented in shape then it is probably split bamboo. Lots of them are still around. They make nice keepsakes although I still some that are fished with. The shorter boat type rods are more plentiful but on occasion I see a surf model.

The telescoping rod is something else I have seen but not that very one. If it's painted I don't see why you couldn't strip it and refinish and paint it. It could be anodized, but I know little about the history of those so don't take my word for it.

Re: Old Rods
Posted by: Don P (205.139.10.---)
Date: January 17, 2002 07:54AM

Thanks William for your post. The rod is hexagonal, and It sure looks like split cane. Question, on heavier rods such as this, were under raps utilized? The guides that were taped on the rod are 10mm, don't you think a larger guide in the 14-16mm range be more appropriate?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster