I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultra light 1/32 spinning rod blank
Posted by: Dennis J Jacobsen (---.htc.net)
Date: January 28, 2004 11:16PM

I'm looking for an ultra light blank that will throw 1/32 oz jigs accurately within a 20-40 foot range. I have a 5 1/2 foot and 6 1/2 foot Loomis IMX UL rods and they don't quite get it done at the long end of that range.

I'd appreciate hearing from those of you who have built and fished rods that will do what I'm asking. Bluegill and crappie are the targets. Cost is not a concern. I want to build the rod from a blank myself.

Thanks,

Dennis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultra light 1/32 spinning rod blank
Posted by: Kurt McKenna (---.neo.lrun.com)
Date: January 29, 2004 12:42AM

The St. Croix SCIII 7' UL 2pcs will do it.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: January 29, 2004 08:57AM

I have a Loomis SJ7500 Mag-Light that throws those size jigs those distances very well. It is discontinued now though.

Pretty tough to get the 0 power's to throw that bottom end of their ratings terribly far so you need to drop down to a 00. I'd get the longest 00 I could and extend the blank another 6 inches.

You need two things here, a lure rating lower than 1/32 and length. Both will make huge differences in your casting distance.

Posted by: Paul Blanch (---.apk.net)
Date: January 29, 2004 09:03AM

G. Loomis used to make a S781-2 2 piece 7' blank . St Croix also has a SCIII 7' ultra light that might fit the bill. Good luck in your search.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (136.181.195.---)
Date: January 29, 2004 09:38AM

Don't rule out the Rogue line. I think they are a etter blank than the Loomis
Mike

Posted by: Kurt McKenna (---.neo.lrun.com)
Date: January 29, 2004 11:00AM

I have been wanting the try the Rougue 7' UL, but it only comes in a 1pcs. Who wants to lug around a 7' 3.5" rod tube. If you deside to go with the Rougue post back here how you like it.

Like I said before, I don't know the exact weight of a size 10 hook and a single mealworm, but my St. Croix will cast that with no additional weight 15 to 20 feet no problem.

I agree that you need a longer rod.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (136.181.195.---)
Date: January 29, 2004 12:08PM

Hi Kurt,

They have a 7' foot light SP 703-2 Spinning Blank 7' 0"
2 Piece / Line Weight: 4-8 / Lure Weight: 1/16-7/16oz
Power: Light / Action: Fast

I'm waiting for a a 7' 1 pc Ultra light blank now Will post my opinion when I get it

Mike

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.birmingham-06-08rs.al.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 29, 2004 08:12PM

I waited for a few answers to go up before commenting. I believe a fast action 3 - 4 wt. fly blank in the length you want will be your best option. I've made several fly/spin combinations and used spinning guides in the Fuji Concept pattern to place the guides and they all cast 40 to 75 feet with 2 or 4 lb. test. this is with 1/16 th oz. but with a 1/32 nd. oz. weight you should get the distance you require. The rods I built were moderate action so a fast action in the same line weight will/should cast farther. Oh, I recomend Alconite guides and a soft flexible line like Original Stren for this. Ralph

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster