I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best way to secure fly reel seat?
Posted by: Preston Quan (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: January 09, 2002 10:35PM

Hi Everyone,

For the 4 weight fly rod I'm building I was wondering what the best method for securing the reel seat would be. Should I use graphite, foam, cork or simply tape for the bushing to secure the reel seat.

Given that with a fly rod you hold the rod by the cork handle sensitivity, I would presume, is a non-issue with the rigidity of the arbor/bushing. Rather, I would think the weight factor is more important.

Any comments and/or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Preston

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best way to secure fly reel seat?
Posted by: Solana (---.salta.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: January 09, 2002 11:19PM

I don´t think there is "THE BEST WAY" , tape works, also other materials.
Try them.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 10, 2002 04:45AM

All you need is something to shim the rod to the reelseat.What is the clearance you have to shim? what is the out side diameter of the rod to the inside diameter of the reelseat?
Bob

Posted by: Elrod(Jon Jenkins) (150.199.191.---)
Date: January 10, 2002 12:07PM

From what I have understood, if little shimming is required, tape will work effectively. If you have quite a gap to fill, I would suggest arbors. I try very hard to always order the reel seat as close to the butt size as possible. I would rather file away a little than build up large gaps.

Posted by: Preston Quan (206.51.26.---)
Date: January 10, 2002 12:11PM

Hi, Preston again...

To give you more details:

The butt diameter of the blank is .343 and the I.D. of
the seat is .453. So I guess I need to shim .11 of an
inch.

This is all new to me. That doesn't sound like a lot
of shimming needed (and thus why some simply use
tape?).

I just want to keep the weight down and any added
sensitivity would be a bonus. I'm sure my Dad has
extra cork rings lying around but was just wondering
if ordering a graphite arbor was necessary.

Also, if the reel seat is 3.8" long how much of the
blank should I shim? Graphite arbors are only 1" long
so do you need two? (or two or three cork rings). Or do you simply shim the entire length with tape.

Thanks again,
Preston

Posted by: Eddie Hinote (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 10, 2002 04:03PM

In his book, Tom suggests using thread wraps to take up the space. I tried it and am pleased with the outcome. E..

Re: Never Masking Tape
Posted by: Don P (205.139.10.---)
Date: January 10, 2002 04:03PM

Masking tape used as a shim will fail over time. What does work however is fiberglass drywall tape. It is self adherant and easy to control the thickness. I cut the width in half and apply it to top and bottom halves of the seat, leaving a small gap in the middle for the final epoxy to settle. As a matter of preference, I apply a thin coat of 5 minute epoxy over the tape and let it dry before the final installation. I have never had a failure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster