I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

great paint to color a blank!!
Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2002 12:24AM

Hey Everyone , If your looking to paint a blank Dig this ,

In my quest to find a way to paint a matte blank without breaking the bank by using proffesional airplane or autobody paint and being stubborn and having to do it myself I stumbled upon CREATEX brand acrylic automobile airbrush paint. I have to say this looks like a winner!!

I tried to color polyurethane with coloring agents but I could not get my color deep enough and the poly would not harden properly with the amount of pigment I used to get a real dark eggplant blue/purple. ( I dont want a see through tint color)

This airbrush paint can be sprayed or brushed , it thins/cleans up with water, can be mixed with most any water based acrylic art paint for custom colors, it brushes on smooth as silk and covers in one coat with no brush marks or bubbles without even being real careful, !! and if you dont like the color after it dries it wipes right off the blank with alcohol. (before top is applied coat of course)

The paint sticks to the blank like an old barnacle and dries to a fine matte finish that is desined for a clearcoat or polyurethane to grab onto. Ive tried two different oilbase polyurethanes over it and they both worked fine.

I e Mailed Ralph O Quinn to see if permagloss would possibly work over the top of this paint.

I have to say Im very impressed!! CREATEX has a web site.

I paid $5.46 for a 4oz bottleof bright blue and bought some plain purple water based medium viscosity acrylic artist paint to get the color I wanted!! A few squrts thinned with water is enough paint to do an average rod.

Check it out guys I'll give a report after rod is done and fished a bit
but I think this paint will hold up fine under a good clearcoat or polyurethane as this is the same paint alot of airbrush artists use for motorcycles and automobile art work.

Happy wrapping in 2002 "John"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: great paint to color a blank!!
Posted by: Pat Majeski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 09, 2002 11:24PM

Do I find it at a automotive paint shop?

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 10, 2002 08:16AM

Pat

You should be able to find it at any local art supply store. Createx makes acrylics for use on other surfaces also. Make sure to get the one for automobiles, the other medias are not very durable. If you do not have a good art store close by. You could buy a copy of "Air Brush" magazine. They have many ads for reputable mail order outlets. Createx is a very large name in air brush paints, it should not be hard to find. Createx has a web site also, but I don't know the address. Having said that, I have not used createx on any rod blanks myself. I would be interested if it holds-up in time. Just remember, Createx auto paints are meant to be sealed with a clear coat, as John has stated.

Bill Doherty

Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2002 10:53AM

As bill said you can find it a most art supply stores.
and lots of places online

Note: Get the automobile air brush paint!! the others just do not stick very well! you can use other acrylic
paints to use as mix colors as long as the auto version is most of your mix.

As for top coating, it is a must. Im going to put a coat of Varathane 900 or permagloss over it.

"John"

Posted by: Felix Cartagena (---.rasserver.net)
Date: January 10, 2002 01:22PM

Great idea hope it works, I am looking to do the same.

This site is great in the little time I been on I have come across answers to almost all my questions.

:)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster