I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

denatured vs isopropyl alcohol
Posted by: Chris May (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2004 01:09AM

A few posts down it is asked where to find denatured alcohol. I find 91% isopropyl alcohol readily available. Will isopropyl be as effective as the denatured alcohol? ( I can't find my chemistry book and can't remember the difference!!!)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: denatured vs isopropyl alcohol
Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: January 08, 2004 01:48AM

Denatured alcohol is ethanol (grain alcohol) that has been "denatured" by adding a small amount of methanol (wood alcohol) so that it can't be consumed.

Should be available at almost any hardware store or Wal-Mart, etc.

Isopropyl alcohol is just a tad larger molecule and may act differently with some materials.

I've found denatured alcohol to be a good general purpose solvent for most of my rodbuilding tasks. It doesn't seem to be too aggressive on my rod blank finish while providing good ability to clean up excess epoxy... etc.

I recall having some issues with ispropanol in the past that made me switch to denatured alcohol... but I just can seem to remember what the issues were specifically. Sorry...

Erik

Posted by: Eric Sjo (---.ocio.usda.gov)
Date: January 08, 2004 02:33AM

Some places have stopped handling denatured alcohol, due to it being one of the ingrediants of meth. Our local area Wal-Mart being one of them. I buy mine at the hardware store or Lowes.
Good Luck

Eric (with a c)

Posted by: Alexander Chunikhin (---.lipetsk.ru)
Date: January 08, 2004 05:03AM

For techical applications there is absolutely no differences between isopropanol and ethanol (I think - methanol and buthanol - too). Grade of purification - is key factor. Best ethanol is 96% for medicine , best isopropanol is aerosol for clearing of electronic equipment, plastic etc. (Cleaner or IPS).

Posted by: Russ Lang (12.150.195.---)
Date: January 08, 2004 08:52AM

The important factor is the water content of the solvent. The 91% IPA you mentioned contains 9% water. The more water in a solvent, the less effective it will be in dissolving organic chemicals. Go with denatured alcohol. It can be denatured with different chemicals depending on the grade but it is dry.

Posted by: Rick Case (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2004 10:50AM

Home Depot sells denatured alcahol, in the paint section, by the gallon. Works very well for clean up as stated above.

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: January 08, 2004 04:25PM

On matte blanks, I use isopropyl for clean-up, because it doesn't discolor the finish of the blank like Denatured Alcohol does. (By the way, the isopropyl I buy is something like 76%, so it's pretty weak.)

I use denatured alcohol for cleaning up epoxy on gloss blanks, reel seats, cork, etc. I also use it to pull the oils out of my more oily exotic wood inserts, so that I can use oil finishes on them.

Posted by: Eddie Hinote (67.96.71.---)
Date: January 08, 2004 08:58PM

Also denatured alcohol burns better , as in your alcohol lamp for flaming bubbles. E..

Posted by: TimShaffer (---.dejazzd.com)
Date: January 08, 2004 09:39PM

The only thing I use denatured alcohol for is in my burner. I don't like the smell of it. I use the iso. alcohol for clean up and have had no problems.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster