I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

? for those with auto painting background
Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 19, 2003 06:15PM

Can a batch of 2 part urethane with flex agent be stored for multiple uses? If so, how?

The reason I'm asking is to determine if it's possible to make a batch and use it for dipping like the bamboo guys do and then sealing the dip tank until next use. Or, using the drip method of putting the blank in the tank and then dripping it out though a valve into a container that can be sealed and stored until the next dipping.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ? for those with auto painting background
Posted by: Vinny labruzzo (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 19, 2003 06:51PM

Im pretty sure it can as long as you didnt add any hardener

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.75.65.216.Dial1.Weehawken.Level3.net)
Date: December 19, 2003 07:14PM

There is an activator that is added to make it dry. Once you mix for an applcation even in the refridge it will harden over time. One thing might be to mix small amounts and brush or wipe on. Try talking to an auto supplier and see if there is a way?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.75.65.216.Dial1.Weehawken.Level3.net)
Date: December 19, 2003 08:32PM

Steve check out this on the clears [www.marvin3m.com]

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 21, 2003 11:03PM

Thanks Bill. This answered a lot of questions.

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 23, 2003 11:04PM

Steve,
There are two types of "Flex Agent" on the market. One remains in the paint, forming an actual chemical bond with the paint thereby allowing it to bend a great deal more without cracking. This is referred to as an "Elastomeric Agent". Most flex additives are not elastomeric in nature. ASK your paint dealer!!! The second type of additive is a "Flash agent". This additive flashes off or evaporates as the paint drys. The idea being that it allows the bodyman to manipulate a part into position while the pain is WET. In my personal opinion, adding a flash off agent is a total waste of your money. Do you need an elastomeric agent in your paint for your rods? That, I am sure can be argued both pro and con. I've discussed this with paint reps. and it's a very interesting topic. The good part is, I get some free paint and booth time. The bad part, I'll end up building rods and making deals. Got some great idea from them though, already. Want an example of what I was was talking about? Ok, PPG flex is a flash agent. REM (BASF) is an elastomeric agent. Just ASK or call an autobody paint supplier, they know their products!!. Hope I helped.
Ray

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster