I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

need exposed reel seat, spin rod,
Posted by: Buzz B (216.114.19.---)
Date: July 10, 2001 11:36AM

I need two each in 16mm and 17mm spin graphite reel seat which exposes the blank for bite detection. I have a large parts order (large for me anyway) going out Thurs. I am willing to shift a large portion of that order to anyone who can find these seats for me (will be buying wholesale) I can not use the exposed trigger reel seat, must be spin seat. Please respond on the board if you are going to contact me, I will check the board at work, if there is a reply, I will go home and email you for the details.

Signed,
Frantic in Wisconsin,

Buzz Butters
B & B Custom Flies and Rods
Ripon, WI

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: need exposed reel seat, spin rod,
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: July 10, 2001 11:46AM

Buzz,

I would expect someone will contact you with what you need. For what it's worth, I would add that a properly mounted seat with some type of rigid, yet lightweight arbors, offers the same degree of "bite detection" as any seat that exposes the blank.

I also realize that your customer may have specified such an "exposed blank" seat and will not try to talk you out of it. They appear to be getting more popular each day and I am sure that if some manufacturer doesn't currently offer them, they soon will.

My mind also began racing with various ways on how you could make your own from the more standard type seats now available. If no one answers your call, please email me and perhaps we can get together by phone and discuss the ways in which you could fabricate your own.

Posted by: Bob (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 10, 2001 01:13PM

How about Fuji skeleton mounted with the threads toward the tip. Cut out portion of the threads and stablized wood arbor incoraprated into the forgrip. Cutout would be for the thumb to rest on the blank. Oh my a brainstorm! I'm going down to see if I can work one up!

Posted by: Ronald (---.chmchl1.ca.home.com)
Date: July 10, 2001 05:25PM

Buzz, Good luck with your search. I spent two months looking about a year ago. Obviously they are made because they are used on factory made rods. Both Quantum and Berkly have used them for several years. I hope you find them because I too could use a bunch.

Ron Hord
ronhord111@home.com

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.131.usr.olynet.com)
Date: July 11, 2001 12:24AM

If you can't find the reel seat you want try a Tennissee graphite handle. If you need to permanitly attatach your reel try and attaching the collars at each end...Good luck

Posted by: Joe (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 23, 2001 07:48PM

I've been modifying Fuji spin seats to expose the blank for a customer that cannot be convinced that a well built and mounted reel seat would serve the same purpose. I use these on 6.5' light baitcasting rods with no foregrip and only a foam ball on the butt end of the blank. The individual that uses them won't fish with anything else, but so far (thank goodness) he is the only one that likes them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster